Home Technical Talk

[Zbrush] Subtracting one tool from another.

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
Hi everyone,

I am currently working on an old tiling interior wall mesh, which has damaged plaster, wood beams and gold leaf-coated, carved wood coving/skirting.

For the plaster, I am trying to sculpt a similar effect acheived by Boyo in his Abandoned House scene (as shown below).

tut_plaster_14.jpg

I know how to subtract one tool from another in 3D mode, but I am unsure how this effect is acheived in 2.5D mode in real time i.e.: Boyo mentions how he can create two layer (one wall tool, one crumbled plaster piece) and adjust the heights in 2.5D mode to acheive different damaged variation. I will be adjusting the height of the second tool in 2.5D mode, but it won't be subtracting at all.

I may not be too good at wording exactly what I mean, so if it's unclear, check out the breakdown by Boyo on the Abandoned House thread.

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Sounds like he's not subtracting subtools, but that he's using document layers.
    If you have the rougher looking subtool/2.5d image already framed in the document, go to the Layer palette and create a new layer. Then click on the new layer (layer2).

You can now draw a new tool onto the document, and edit that layer like normal while the original image remains stuck to the document. Both layers of pixols still have their depth stored, so with enough sculpting displacement the new layer could appear above or below the original, creating the end result.
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    @cryrid - You diamond! That has resolved my problem. Must have been the wording in the thread that threw me a bit. You can see that I have smooth and rough (test) tools in 2.5d on different layer and they are intersecting, creating the kind of effect I was after.

9dfwauR.jpg

Thanks again! :)