Home Quixel Megascans

SOLVED: Everything I texture looks low res?

EoinOBroin
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
EoinOBroin polycounter lvl 3
I am new to Quixel Suite as before I have just been texturing in UE4 directly, but as nice as you can get the materials there, you need more detail such as dirt around edges, sand in cavities etc, and DDO does that perfectly.

However, I have been texturing long modular wall/floor meshes that I exported with Maya, properly UV'd with baked OS/TS normals, AO, and color maps. In UE4, I can apply my wood mats directly perfectly, and they tile correctly and look great. However, they lack detail as said above, but whenever I bring them into DDO and apply the same diffuse texture and mabye some masked dust to add more detail, I always get stretched, low resolution results, and if I reduce the scale of the material (I have tested with many materials), it just creates a really obvious tiling effect. Also, as well as that, when I bring the textures into UE4, they look nowhere near as defined and lack so much depth in comparison to the DDO material ball preview.

Is there something I'm missing? I basically want to get lots of very nice tiny details, so that when the player gets close to a surface it reveals loads of details, and avoid any kind of low res blockiness. I start the DDO project with a texel density of 4096, and the wood textures I use are larger than 4k, so surely it isn't a texture resolution issue?

Is DDO just suited for smaller models like detailed armour/weapons as opposed to whole wall/floor pieces?

Thanks!

Replies