Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - Matron Mother's Throne Room - Port-Seven

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Port-Seven polycounter lvl 7
After a lot of thinking, I've settled (somewhat hesitantly) on a Matron Mother's throne room. A Matron Mother is the absolute ruler of a House and, depending on how high up in the hierarchy a House is, can be comprised of hundreds of individuals.

For now I'm going to start jotting things down as I work through my ideas. A couple of challenges come to mind:

1. There is no light in the Underdark

Solution: use faerie fire (soft glowing magical light) to create the ambiance. I may also fudge the no light rule and place a few candles around the room if need be. A hazy blue or purple atmosphere can also help brighten the room while still maintaining a feeling of darkness.

2. What does drow architecture look like?

Solution: work from scratch to define said architecture, using reference from concepts for style and real world cathedrals/chapels to achieve a sense of grandness.

book_covers_zpspr7nlvlg.jpg

architecture_examples_zps6rdqff8y.jpg

Re-reading my favourite book series has also given me a few common features to consider that will help to identify the architecture as being drow specifically:

-Grand rooms shaped octagonal
-Statues of the goddess Lolth in both dark elf and spider form
-Spider theme incorporated everywhere
-No untouched/unsculpted/unworked surface to be seen

I don't consider concepting to be a very strong skill of mine, nor is organic modelling in Z-Brush, so this will be doubly challenging for me.

Story - what is happening in the throne room?

Ritual demon summoning?
Summoning gone bad?
Throne room of a destroyed House?
Struggle and shift of power from mother to daughter?

Over the next few days I'll put together some block out environments to find a composition that I like and achieve the proper scale of the room.

Replies

• Port-Seven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Port-Seven polycounter lvl 7
    Starting to block out in Max, trying to get a sense of scale using cathedral interiors as reference. I've also been looking at some Darkwatch and Darksiders art for some thoughts about style.

Additional thoughts: the shadow being cast across the floor could look cool if it were shaped like a spider web, and the floor itself will be tilted with intricate (possibly mosaic) designs. Inset in the middle could have runes on it for summoning purposes.

throneroom_wip001_zpsarcgmlwx.jpg