Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

Throne Room - Coronation by the Moon - Crocapaw

Concept: Lunar Coronation Ceremony

I am creating a Polynesian themed throne room. Setting it atop an island at night. I want to line up the throne with the moon to make it look like the moon is part of a coronation ceremony. I am using a lot of art influence from South America, especially Easter Island. I will be submitting as an individual to the contest.

Software:
  • Maya
  • Zbrush
  • Substance Painter
  • Substance Designer
  • Unity 4 with Marmoset

I look forward to getting my first concepts up and seeing what others do!

Replies

• Crocapaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I put together reference and inspiration, including some rough sketches of what I am thinking of building.

idea_Sketches.png
    click image upload

throne_Inspiration.png
    image hosting without account

sculpture.png
    free photo hosting

Painting_Texture_Inspiration.png
    how to do a screen shot
  • Crocapaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally finished the in game blockouts. It took a lot more time then anticipated to get the composition and lighting I wanted. These are done in Unity 4.6 with Marmoset Skyshop.

Establishing_Shot_blockout.png

Throne_Shot_blockout.png

Side_Statue_Shot_blockout.png
  • Crocapaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been working on getting the major scene props done, starting for some simpler assets and going more complex. I decided to post a quick update of 2 of the more interesting ones I have completed. My workflow went from Zbrush for the Highpoly, Maya for the Lowpoly and texture baking and Substance Painter for textures. Finally put into Unity using Marmoset Skyshop for lighting. (Painter WIPs are going to be slim to non existent until Allegorithmic includes a Spec/gloss shader)

kneeling_Statue_Prop.png

Stairs_Prop.png

I spent more time iterating on the look of the stone and paint then I normally would have, but I think it should save time in the long run because of how I'm using Substance Painter with Substances. Texturing is just so much faster then it used to be and now with Smart Materials I don't even have to recreate the layers for each asset. Any feedback is Appreciated! Next is the throne and owl statue.
  • Crocapaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to go a slightly different direction with the throne statue. The more difficult sculpt, coupled with the fact that this is my first project using zbrush and Substance Painter, its eaten a lot of time. So in order to save time, I decided to try out Zbrush's ZRemesher tool to make the low poly. I was pretty impressed with the automatic results and will likely use it in the future as a starting point for low poly meshes. But in this case, I just have to live with the low poly being rather high resolution:poly122:

high_Poly_Owl_Throne.png
    Owl_Throne_WIP01.png[/url]
    image url
  • Crocapaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally finished all the major pieces for the throne area. Working late for the final stretch!

Coronation_Moon_WIPMarch28.png