Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM_King's Cove_Team Pirate

Kalilak11
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Kalilak11 polycounter lvl 6
Hey all! So my name is Kali Kolberg, and I am working with Josh Workman to create a throne room for the pirate king. We wanted the throne room to be in a secret cove, where the king could be surrounded with all of his treasure. The throne itself we want to be intimidating to show his power, so we are going to construct it from ships the pirate king has defeated.

We plan to create our assets using 3Ds Max, Zbrush, Photoshop, Substance Painter and Designer, and UE4.

Critique is always welcome!

Replies

• Kalilak11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the reference art we have used thus far for the project.
    refrence_by_kalilak11-d8fihg6.jpg
  • Kalilak11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the concept art for the throne that I created in Photoshop.
    kings_cove_by_kalilak11-d8fgb8l.png

As we started the brainstorming process for the layout of the throne and what it would look like, we began to think of who this Pirate King was. What was his personality like? What was his role? This began to really inform a lot of our design decisions.

We wanted him to be intimidating, and feared by other pirates, so we wanted the throne to have a bulky appearance. We also wanted it to sit above everything else so that the King would be looking down upon his subjects.

The arm rests are made out of cannons not only to intimidate his people, but also resemble trophies from ships that he has destroyed. The splintered wood on the back also serves a similar purpose in that it shows his subjects the ships he has destroyed.

Do to the fact that he is the King of all pirates, we wanted him to have the most treasure of them all. Not only due to the fact that he has captured/destroyed many ships, but also due to the tribute his subjects leave for him.

Creating the throne within a hidden cove not only keeps his treasure hidden from the world, but it also keeps him hidden from the law. And having this cove near the water makes it easier for him to make a quick get away if needed.

These were all things we thought about as we were coming up with the design.
  • pooter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, I am Joshua Workman. I am working with Kali to create our pirate cove throne room. Kali already showed some of our references and her concept. Here is a very quick block-out of the room I used to get some lighting thoughts. qBw87J.png
    UXarZb.png

Our plan is to have the lighting coming from holes in the "ceiling" in the cave, bounced off the coins/water, and bounced in through the room's entrance. Still need to really flesh out the room layout a lot more.

In the meantime, I also worked on the start of a tiling Coin/treasure texture. This texture will be blended with other treasure textures to break it up, and other objects sticking out of the pile will help with that goal even more.

This is the texture test I did using UE4.
    WcJze0.png
    k8fLFJ.png

I will return to the coin texture after working on the room as a whole a bit more.
  • Lawrence Preston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lawrence Preston polycounter lvl 5
    Looking pretty cool. Be mindful in using props to tell a story though, because things can be interpreted very differently. Mainly, I'm thinking of the broken planks. When you actively tell the viewer that they are meant as a trophy/intimidation, then it makes sense. However, someone viewing the throne without the narrative will come to a very different conclusion, and I doubt "trophy or victory" would come to mind. Very nice composition, but more of a derelict/scavenger feeling.
  • Kalilak11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lawrence, thank you for the critique! We will see if there are some things we can do with the wood to make it feel more trophy-like, or at least some way to make it feel like it came from a ship. To get more of a scavenger feel, we can play around with dirtying up some of the textures (like the flag for example) and maybe adding some other stolen artifacts besides treasure.