Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - Cult of the Spider - Praetus

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
praetus interpolator
I'm going to throw my lot in with this I think. Took me some time to roll with a theme. Going for a Spider God worshiping cult. Hoping to hit a Darksiders 1/2 style of chunky fantasy. Here's my mood board from some concept art/ art dumps I found.

r3rw5Ie.jpg

This is a quick sketch. I get that it isn't much now but I'm blocking out the scene currently so I can get a sense of scale and layout. Hopefully I'll have some more to post but right now it's all line tool in Max.
ixFiNNj.jpg

Edit - Forgot to mention software

Definitely Use:
3DS Max
Photoshop
Marmoset Toolbag2
Quixel Suite
ZBrush
Handplane

Maybe Use (if enough time to learn):
UE4
Substance Designer
Substance Painter

Replies

• Spencer_Holmes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spencer_Holmes polycounter lvl 6
    I like this and original from what else has been posted. I'll be looking forward to more of your work.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Your spider is an ant ! you put only 6 legs haha !

I did a really quick paintover, i think you throne would look even more magnificent with legs standing out. and some jewel nice stuff sculpted on the back of the spider. also i think spider web would be a nice touch :)

spider_by_odow-d8fcxli.jpg
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    hahaha, How embarrassing.... I assure you, it will have eight legs in the final product. So, this is the basic layout I am going for. I got a few different angles with and old character thrown in for scale. The giant spider will be a statue. Right now everything is very WIP so I may be changing things here and there and I'll be working on some sketches to explore some of the overall details on the walls, pillars, throne, etc. There will also be webbing one various areas, but it looked goofy to just throw planes down as they blocked most the other details on layout.

UloIdos.jpg
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    So, this was a quick paintover I made of the main wall. It's pretty quick and dirty but I wanted to get it out there and get some peoples opinions early. Nothing is 100% set so if you see something you don't like or think could be better planned, let it rip.

oTkbhDV.jpg
  • Aerashi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aerashi polycounter lvl 9
    Another thread to watch :) In your latest pic there's something off about the face, it might be the hair leading the eye away from the throne on the left, maybe try with it coming straight down?

Also, pure personal opinion, but I'd suggest that instead of having the spider poking through a hole in the wall maybe have it somewhat smaller but spread out above the room? That'll let you do some funky things with all the legs, not just the front couple, and let's you get creative with the body too.

For the mural on the floor, maybe try the extra eyes vertical? SPIDEY HEAD That could look more creepy as it ay come across as some sort of mutation.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    So, I have some new paintover/concepts based on some feedback. I think I'm going to get rid of the giant spider. I feel like it is too large and is taking away from the throne instead of adding to the scene overall. I have changed the face on the wall a bit to have some extra eyes and now with the blood trail although, again, that may change depending on how it effects the scene. At the very least I think I am going to size it down a bit so it isn't so huge. Draws the eye too much as it is.

wAJX4lb.jpg

I've also made some throne variations based on feedback. Personally I like the second throne, but please let me know what you all think! :)

EukF7Wh.jpg
  • Lawrence Preston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lawrence Preston polycounter lvl 5
    The second would be a nice choice because it breaks up the, otherwise, symmetrical throne. But I prefer the plain and simple one at the end. The contrast of the others overshadows the throne itself.

I'm also noticing that the "banner" like shapes behind the throne, leading up to the face, come very close to looking like spider legs. Perhaps the throne could be reworked to incorporate the legs of the spider, and face into one. Maybe by bringing the face lower, as the distance creates an awkward gap that bounce my eyes needlessly between them.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    So based on your and some coworker feedback I've reworked it some more. Face on the wall is about half the size and lowered down a bit. I've also fleshed out the wall a bit more, minus the giant spider. I think I may go with throne number 2, but the throne itself will have some more asymmetrical detailing thrown in. Right now with concepting I'm just trying to knock out the overall feeling or tone. For example, the background wall will be similar on both side but not symmetrical. It's just easier to copy it over for now to get a base idea.

jvTKIlM.jpg
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I think I have enough of an idea where I am going to start sculpting assets this weekend. Quick question though, what does everyone think of the egg colors? I feel like the golden/yellow one will accent the purple splashes of color in the scene the best, but I could always use some more feedback.

hyEeQqS.jpg
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah the C but i would change the colour variation of the eggs.
  • bcarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bcarter polycounter lvl 5
    I really like the way this is coming along so far. I like both A and B but think that the green/yellow in A would give a better contrast to the purples in the rest of the room.
  • hewitt96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hewitt96 polycounter lvl 10
    Agreed with bcarter!! i like A the best. :D
  • polytom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polytom polycounter lvl 4
    I like A.

Some slight desaturation and colour variation could work really well :)
  • Zee'
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like C the most with some color variation :)
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Thanks for the input guys. Good news is I should be able to test the colors pretty easily if I use Quixel or Substance tools to texture it. I got a little bit of sculpting done over the weekend but I was pretty busy for most of it. Here is the arch behind the throne. Let me know your input.

ycbRCKD.jpg
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I've been trying to get some more work done on this when I have the time. I'm hoping to start moving proxy objects into UE4 this weekend, but we'll have to wait and see how it goes.

In the mean time, here is some basic tile sets stuff I sculpted up.

VvkKqCg.jpg
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I got some time this weekend to sculpt some more props. Here is some progress on the set pieces.

nonK7qm.jpg
    QwPYrDq.jpg

5ot8PVS.jpg
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Great progress, Preatus! :)
    I think the Fanny vergne clone might be a bit too lumpy for my taste, but perhaps it will look great baked :)
    Looking forward to seeing this progress!
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Sculpted up the eggs the other day but didn't get around to posting it. Also, made the low poly archway and started messing around with the texturing.

2HFCmx7.jpg

rDdHp9p.jpg
  • adam flores
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam flores polycounter lvl 11
    Looks very cool!
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Some more stuff from over the weekend.