Home Quixel Megascans

ANSWERED: Best Workflow to Generate ID Map

oskarkeo
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
oskarkeo polycounter lvl 10
Hi Folks,

I'm interested in hearing any workflows for generating ID Maps for Quixel Suite, i'm not convinced i'm using the best approach.

I know ddo 1 had some maya surface shaders you could bake down onto the surface, But i've found that using maya ends up missing the geo that is occluded by another piece of geo. also some of the edge bleeding comes out looking wack. and the bake takes forever and a day

I mostly use zbrush:
spit to parts
fill colour across each subtool in turn
leave split
bake vertex colour map (including subtools) using multimap exporter.

sadly it does take quite a bit of time to wade through all the subtools on more bitty objects.

Does anyone else have a preferred workflow theyd like to share?

Oskar

Replies

• Ingemar Lundgren
    Using Zbrush to. I just make polygroups of the areas that need different materials and color fill the polygroup hiding the others. Works well for me and no need to split to parts. Have also simply polypainted the model using 0 focal on the standard brush. Also works but i think polygrouping and color filling is quicker in most cases.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    When I create ID Maps I usually use Maya. I use the DDO swatches and apply them to the mesh(es). Then I simply bake it out using Transfer Maps. Sometimes there are issues with bleeding, but you can usually avoid that by adjusting the cage. If you don't know how to see the cage, it's in the dropdown menu of the target mesh slot.

The diffuse baking in Maya is really slow at higher resolutions, but the end result usually is satisfying. :)