Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Art Deco Train Station

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ReneFisher polycounter lvl 6
Latest:
UYIIKT9.jpg
OWCP8t5.jpg

Greetings! Here is my latest project in UE4, a Train station based on an exaggerated Art Deco style. I started the project with the Train model last summer and wanted to revisit the style. Not including the train, the project has taken about 3 weeks to get where I am now, and I expect to finish it in another 7.

Also here is my pinterest board with all my references if you're interested.
http://www.pinterest.com/rene78634/art-deco-train/

AwubFG8.jpg
Concept Art (I plan to have more stuff inside the station, this is just for the architecture really)
HGf8C0X.jpg
Early Maya Wireframe
JAggxgG.jpg
Screenshot of what I have so far in UE4
LYAvITE.jpg
Screenshot of what I have so far in UE4(not sure whats going on with the train material... its only temp anyways.)
qD7bB2w.jpg
Screenshot of what I have so far in UE4

ENCEXlk.jpg
Train Concept (colors going to change... this was before I decided to make the whole station
7nTGoWV.jpg
Train Model

Feel free to offer suggestions, tips and tricks, they are greatly appreciated!
Ill be updating at least once a week, hopefully!

Replies

• Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Love the idea! :)
  • ReneFisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!
    Starting to texture the Train, let me know what y'all think. Just the base of the train (thats why the bottom looks funny... it'll be covered up) more parts to come.

VTgMQh0.png
  • atomander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    atomander polycounter lvl 7
    I really like this idea! I think the rounded front of the train could use a bit more geometry to help silhouette. Looking forward to more!
  • ReneFisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noted, Thanks!
    RgBWsXi.png2nd piece of the Train... just the wheel area left.

Stained glass material isnt done, its just a 3DO preview.
  • MrD4rth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrD4rth polycounter lvl 9
    awesome idea, man. cant wait to see it finished and lit.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    This will be nice.

I really suggest that you put more polys on the round parts of the train ( and every round assets in general ), there is no need to have such low poly curves, especially for a next gen portfolio piece.
  • FemCharles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    This is a nice idea!

Although before you go onto texturing i would spend some more time blocking out your scene. As you mentioned you was going to put more props in, so i would spend some time doing that first. Give it some life, then i would block in some colours before getting into the textures. :)
  • ReneFisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some progress, mostly materials and lighting. Still have to add lamps/lanterns and actually do some proper texturing, but it's coming along

r3VwShJ.jpg
    4U8gn93.jpg
    89fTWNY.jpg

Im having some issues making the stained glass material, if yall can provide any tips that'd be awesome. Im not too experienced making any sort of advanced materials so any resources pertaining to that would be great too.
  • ReneFisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oU4sECt.png

Minor update,still working on some texturing stuff and trying to get the stained glass/lighting to work correctly.
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    I can not help you with the materials. But it is looking wonderful! One thing though. As FemCharles said earlier, it would really be good if you blocked out the more of the scene before proceeding. Then you can get a feel of what needs to be prioritized and what you can cut. Also it would help if you can find a good composition early for some beauty shots.

But good job, it will be a blast to see this get finished.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Maybe the problem with the glass is that it looks a bit boring and washed out. I don't know a lot about art deco, but if I look at art deco windows on Google I see a lot of interesting shapes and some bright colors.

Art_Deco_Stained_Glass.jpg

gina.jpg

art-deco-stained-glass.jpg

Art_Deco_Stained_Glass_in_a_Melbourne_House.jpg

Art_Deco_01.jpg

Maybe you could go for something more interesting than some rectangles ?
  • AbKI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AbKI polycounter lvl 6
    Oooh, love this theme, really different. Looking forward to seeing this one progress. :)
  • ReneFisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Nuclear Angel: Thanks! Normally I would have totally blocked it out a bit more, but because its for a class where I need to have a finished-ish looking environment in a couple weeks, I had to go about it a little differently. I'll start heading more in that direction once it becomes a personal project rather than a graded one.

@Texelion: I totally agree and Im thinking Im going to redo the stained glass to look more like this... the way I currently set it makes it really difficult to paint a nice clean stained glass design. Thanks for the references though!

So this is sorta a step back from completion, but a step in a better direction none the less. I realized the scale was just way too small the way I had it before, and although it means making more stuff to fill the space, I expanded it dramatically.

This is just a rough mockup, I need to realign some of the seams and such but you get the idea.

UYIIKT9.jpg
    OWCP8t5.jpg
    (anyone know what the noisy artifacts are from? I just took a high res shot and they seemed to pop up...)

I also made a Ticket booth/Info station and a couple of lighting elements.
    BQzalKj.png
  • billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    The noisiness is probably from screen space reflections. You should be able to increase the SSR quality in your post process volume.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking ace! I was going to suggest lighting fixtures, but it looks like you've got that covered now.
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, that acid stained concrete floor looks really cool, keep it going!