Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Help my improve my likeness sculpt, plox!

taglol
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
taglol polycounter lvl 6
Sup!

I've been trying to do a likeness sculpt of Johnny Depp, but something feels off! Any crits would be greatly appreciated
Don't mind the temp ears, I'll get to them sometime. :poly121:

uyC3PRR.png

Replies

• miamigator09
    I immediately recognized it as Johnny Depp, most likely from the cheekbones and mouth.

The easiest way for us (and you) to suggest changes is by providing reference, a front shot, profile, 3/4, and then lining up your sculpt to match the angles. That will make comparing the likeness much more accurate. Not only will adjusting the angles to match the pictures, but even the focal length of the camera (even a ballpark estimate), to account for warping.

So far it looks like it's on the right track, but with reference photos it will be much easier to give meaningful advice-
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    What photo are you using for reference?
  • WesleyArthur
    Wow great start! I agree with @miamigator, posting some reference would make it a lot easier to assess.

I had a look at some photos of Johnny Depp, and it looks like the nose might be a little too small. I think his nostrils should be a little wider than the tear ducts of his eyes. His eyes might also be a tiny bit too narrow, but then again that could be caused by his nose. I think his forehead should be a bit flatter too. Depp has quite a defined brow, but above that is fairly plain.

It's always tricky to tell when he hasn't got his signature goatee, but it's definitely recognisable as him. Really nice work with the cheeks and jaw.

I'll be keeping my eye on this, it looks great so far! By the way, I love the temp ears haha
  • taglol
    Offline / Send Message
    taglol polycounter lvl 6
    Oh of course, these are the main references I've been using 0YYaeuK.jpg

Thanks for all the great feedback! You're absolutely right, his brow should be more prominent