Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - Throne of Prophecy - Team Kittens

Hey everyone, Marreia and I are going to be working on a more organic scene that involves a lot of nature elements.

Our Throne room will be inspired by imagining an Oracle that offers prophetic insight with her power to pull the energy from all of nature around her.

More to come.

Replies

• KingUNREAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some of my concepts for our Throne Room environment. See Marreias post for reasonings of things lol.
  • marreia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marreia polycounter lvl 8
    We've gone back and forth a bit with inside or outside for our throne idea, so the first sketch was really the first one where most of my other ideas were based off of this one. I liked the idea of having no vegetation for the tree and shinto prayer papers as the vegetation and the representation of people's hopes and wishes for this "throne" of a woman who uses this area to read for people.

I wanted the roots to kind of grow wildly out from the tree but also create pools of reflection that would aid this woman in her visions as well. The moondial was straight up an afterthought and is kind of out of place, but was just an idea to kind of incorporate some other kind of element to tie in prophecy and such.

We've now decided to show more of the inside of the tree, so we found some images of hollowed out trees and kind of want to do a bit of both outside and inside. With the idea of the inside, I thought of the idea of twisting the roots to make a kind of crescent shape that would be incorporated into the throne. Since we most likely wouldn't see too much of the top of the tree from the outside, I thought it would be interesting to also add prayers to the crescent throne if we were to do something with that.

Still working on some more sketches and ideas of adding things to the inside like apothecary like items as well as incorporating more nature type elements to help with the storage like big mushroom shelves and hollowed out portions of the tree.

Anyhoo, we're moving closer to an idea that we like. More to come later.
  • marreia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marreia polycounter lvl 8
    The first image you can see the progression of ideas that eventually led to what we're trying to do for our throne, but I'm sure just like with this as we start to make it things will change and evolve.

With the throne, we're trying to pull from different asian cultures and fortune telling as well as legends. Since we both liked the idea of the moon, one of the more popular ones is that of the rabbit of the moon as well as the Jade Rabbit, which is cool because other parts of the throne room we want to incorporate things you'd see in an apothecary.

Anyhoo, looking up Shinto temples and things they have I came across 3 things they typically have like a mirror. So the first sketch was pretty much an idea of rabbits moving around a jade type mirror. From here, we came up with the idea of the rabbits being part of a curving tree trunk that would hold the mirror which Christian very nicely colored. In the next more messy sketch over it, I was trying to illustrate how it would be cooler to have the rabbits not run in the same direction but all around it, which we both liked. However, now with all the rabbits running on the tree, the rabbit mirror just seemed super redundant and overkill so it has been set aside.

The tree curve seemed to help draw your eye towards the throne and Christian had a cool look to a lotus flower we could have be our throne which he has painted over in the last image. This was something we were both pretty happy with and wanted to move forward with.

The other captures are a blockout I started to try and get an idea for scale and the room size, plus it would be easier to paint over it since perspective is hard and we were both having trouble getting a feel for the room. These are some awkward shots because having set this up it feels a bit too small, but I do like the potential of multiple shots in the room. It feels like it needs to be more epic in scale (the flower is twice as tall as heroic female proportions) in regards to the hollowed out tree.

We'll definitely be going to have to plan out how we want this entrance to be and whether or not we want any part of the outside showing more than it is, since it was hard to establish shots anyhow, but it feels good to be working towards a direction now.
  • KingUNREAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update of concepts for props, texture, and layouts of the room itself.