Home General Discussion

Windows Holographic

LMP
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
LMP polycounter lvl 13
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aThCr0PsyuA[/ame]

Microsoft, what have you done to my reality. I still can't believe this. I'm so feeling like reality isn't reality. My perception of reality has been broken.

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Oh man, I cannot stand these "lifestyle preview" kind of videos with CG inserts of shiny gadgets that we all know will suck ... What was this one about exactly ? The CAD/product design parts are a bit of an insult to anyone working in the field ...

(sorry for being negative here, but I cannot help but feel like this sums up all that is dumb about the tech world today. We have amazing networks and tools but still, marketing teams still find ways to lie to the face of customers by promising things that we all know won't work as advertised.)
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Reminds me of google glass, only somehow even less practical.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I hate these preview type videos, it's basically sci fi fantasy put into a "normal everyday situation" but not really.

The DPI on those displays must be very high, and I think we'll "solve" VR before we "solve" AR. Obviously this would need speakers to work as a TV replacement, I still can't see AR being useful for professional applications besides walking around a model.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Question:

if you're going to sit down and have the goggles display a tv on your wall... why the fuck wouldn't you just have it play right in front of your eyes, in the goggles, occulus style?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Maybe you want the TV to stay in place while you do something else, like a normal tv, but you still want it to be more flexible than a normal TV.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    for those who are skeptical of how functional it is right now... (HINT - the stuff in that video is way closer to what they already have than you think)

http://www.wired.com/2015/01/microsoft-hands-on/
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't doubt that the device actually exists - it's the 100% fake application "previews" that make me cringe ... Anyone who has ever used Skype before (or ... a Kinect !) knows that it just doesn't work or look like that ...
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    how is this different from the Augmented Reality applications we currently have?

don't call it a hologram until we can all see the same thing without goggles
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    I love VR but I hate not knowing what is going on around me. So for me this device has much better commercial capabilities and audience acceptance then standard VR tech. Personally I can see so many vectors of decimation in its uses and application. I think this is such a great idea, I can see why MS bought Minecraft now. :)

Its a little clunky but in time they will stream line it, or should I say Samsung's version will be!
    AP689834833762-660x440.jpg
  • LogoIntrinsic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LogoIntrinsic polycounter lvl 8
    sweet.(Post,test test)
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    It's not VR; it's AR.

It's also not a hologram...
    Ferg wrote: »
    for those who are skeptical of how functional it is right now... (HINT - the stuff in that video is way closer to what they already have than you think)

http://www.wired.com/2015/01/microsoft-hands-on/

I'm sure it works just as well and is as up to the task as Kinect was prior to launch...
  • Clos3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clos3d polycounter lvl 17
    Marketing is marketing.... It could work like they showed, but I will also need a special fridge that is compatible with HoloLens.

So, the new way of shopping will now require a tag '' Compatible with Hololens''.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I think the idea has a lot of promise.

On the other hand, when the marketing makes it look so smooth and wrinkle-free people just get cynical. It's like 'yeah OK'. They should be treating it more like the prototype it is; that little lego demonstration was hard to watch.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Watching the marketing spin, I have flashbacks of when the kinect debuted and it was highly choreographed and still out of sync. They have this habit of talking big and then not delivering. I don't want to hear how cool they think it COULD be. Let me know when they have something cool that you're ready for me to buy.

Slightly dry but it gives you a better idea of what it actually does and doesn't do.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6sL_5Wgvrg[/ame]

I think it's promising and could be really cool. Imagine making a character and be able to look it right in the eye and walk around it.

Also...
    "Available within the Windows10 timeframe"
    So just before Windows11 comes out? This tells me they have a lot of work left to do and they might have "Pimped it too early".
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Question:

if you're going to sit down and have the goggles display a tv on your wall... why the fuck wouldn't you just have it play right in front of your eyes, in the goggles, occulus style?

thought the same thing or looking at the monitor lol but if it actually WORKS it would be like tony stark

STR0910_comp_v014.1159_R.jpg_cmyk.jpg?62f061
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I can also confirm that the Oculus Rift doesn't cleave your eyeballs in twain, despite the name.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Either rockpapershotgun was hired by MS to write this article, or it's actually fucking amazing technology.

www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/22/minecraft-hololens-minecraft-reality/

I'm betting on the latter.

I mean shit guys! It's already wireless! That's fucking amazing.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it really wireless at the moment though ? I was reading a report from the hands-on, behind closed doors demo earlier and the whole thing was said to be tethered to a workstation.

As a matter of fact, I would have been much more impressed by the tech had they shown their real prototype instead of the ridiculous "preview" video.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the video I posted above, they say it's completely autonomous and that it doesn't rely on anything, it's completely self contained and a computer all unto itself, like a smart phone.

They also say it has a CPU, GPU and some new kind of HPU. Which is probably just another CPU dedicated to holographic images... who knows maybe they really did spend a lot of time engineering some new kind of hardware to fill a specific need?
  • Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    I'm looking forward to seeing the first demo units in the microsoft stores. How practical this will be in practice remains to be seen. The nice thing about this proposal is that it being AR, you actually get to see the space around you rather then being cut off like in the Rift (which is more immerseive for gaming)
    I'm also curious what the battery life is on this beast. The glass seems to only last 3-4 hours from what I've read.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mark : yeah, and that's probably what they want to achieve eventually - but I don't think that they have anything of the sort up and running at the moment ... for the simple reason that if they had it, they would show it !

I also remain highly skeptical of all the articles being written on the subject. There seems to be something fishy going on, with all of them following the exact same format and narrative, all using the same official stock images and the same overly enthusiastic tone. Why is no one making diagrams or even crude mockups of what they experienced ? For instance, I am curious to hear about the way transparency is being handled, but no one is even trying to put together a photoshop mockup of what the Minecraft demo actually looked like.

Sorry for being negative on all this, but the "I have an idea for the fuel tank" bit really rubs me the wrong way. Why would they try to BS the precise target audience they seem to be going for ?
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pior, I agree. The complete lack of skepticism in the articles is fishy, especially since all similar techs have all performed much less than expected in the field. But I don't go to conferences, workshops, seminars or have friends with a lot of money, so what do I know? I suspect they have things at a working level and it's time to gather investors and collaborators.

I'm most curious how well it handles the hand gesture controls, details are kind of skecthy on that. The kinect and wiimote are still the best offers in the control area, . Still, i think this is exciting tech, and has a lot of difficult problems to solve. Sounds like the display is still transparent, but some of the reviewers seemed to have no issue believing holes in walls as in that minecraft demo.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/21/microsoft-hololens-hands-on/
    This article takes a critical look that might sway you a little.

Side note, that minecraft in real life is sweet, but makes me worry about the youth at the risk of sounding technophobic here. Maybe I'll invent human analogs to computer viruses, so they at least can have the experience of getting sick from playing with dirt.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    At best it works as shown. At worst its basically an occulus rift with a built-in AR capable kinect 2.5

I'd like one either way.
  • JamesTKirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesTKirk polycounter lvl 8
    I think the hardware might actually be rather good and can be really useful for some things, like games etc. but the user scenarios shown in these movies are laughable like being able to shape that motorcycle fuel tank exactly the way wanted with the help of a single arrow gizmo.

Microsoft deliberately confuses real creativity with some kind of hightech coloring book. And this what I really think is bad.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    pior wrote: »
    Mark : yeah, and that's probably what they want to achieve eventually - but I don't think that they have anything of the sort up and running at the moment ... for the simple reason that if they had it, they would show it !

I also remain highly skeptical of all the articles being written on the subject. There seems to be something fishy going on, with all of them following the exact same format and narrative, all using the same official stock images and the same overly enthusiastic tone. Why is no one making diagrams or even crude mockups of what they experienced ? For instance, I am curious to hear about the way transparency is being handled, but no one is even trying to put together a photoshop mockup of what the Minecraft demo actually looked like.

Sorry for being negative on all this, but the "I have an idea for the fuel tank" bit really rubs me the wrong way. Why would they try to BS the precise target audience they seem to be going for ?

Anandtech seems to have been impressed with the initial press presentation this week. But perhaps they are all painting the same narrative because the event was invitation only ( about 100 or so )
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/8919/microsoft-reveals-the-next-generation-of-windows-10
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    nT0urFL.png
    Finally I can learn how to assemble a p-trap.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Does it mean we can all finally start dressing like this?

yAewdjf.jpg
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Wait, I take it all back. Ship the glasses with that jacket and I'm onboard.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm.. Mixed feelings. Lots of marketing hype, lack of haptic feedback sucks for interfacing with things, and the whole "point and click in space" gesture gets tiring really quick. (I have a leap motion already and don't use it much because of this sort of thing).

I think we all *WANT* the Tony Stark like interface option, but I'm skeptical they've got it. However, even a wireless peripheral HUD would be an outstanding piece.
  • mentalfrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They also say it has a CPU, GPU and some new kind of HPU. Which is probably just another CPU dedicated to holographic images... who knows maybe they really did spend a lot of time engineering some new kind of hardware to fill a specific need?

Most likely Intel chips. I'm pretty sure that Intel is developing chips dedicated to these types of technology. There's even a demo at my local Best Buy. I didn't have a chance to try it but it's basically AR. I don't think the demo at Best Buy was for MS but for Intel's new type of chips processing this type of information.
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    doesn't the Kinect still suck? I don't know anyone that uses it willingly. They claimed it was a success because it sold tons of units but everyone either hates it or is indifferent. This is kinect 2.0

The only people I know who use Kinect are people who abuse the shit out of it for cheap mocap :P

Honestly if the end result was as good as the ads, I'd love to try it with zBrush. But I severly doubt that it will be.
    Maybe I should get a RIFT with some of those fancy tech gloves. Same results.

Also can someone invent real, cheap holo tech? Please? I want my own personal Holo butler :p
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Well isn't that nice... *walks away*
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Question:

thought the same thing or looking at the monitor lol but if it actually WORKS it would be like tony stark

STR0910_comp_v014.1159_R.jpg_cmyk.jpg?62f061

So you can walk around your creations I guess :)
    Untitled_1.jpg