Home General Discussion

Alternative to Marmoset Toolbag?

Greg DAlessandro
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
Anyone know a free alternative for a program similar to Marmoset for good renders? Thank you.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Game engines that are free.

Cryengine 3.5

Unity3D

UE4 is only $20 for a one-time, unpdatable buy, but comes with everything. Source code, etc. And a solid basic renderer.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Sketchfab added PBR shading a while ago: https://labs.sketchfab.com/siggraph2014/

Its shadowing and post processing aren't as well fleshed out as Marmoset's, but it's serviceable.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    I currently use Quixel 3DO

Correction: I did use 3DO when the programe used to open.

You may have to be more patient with 3DO because often versions of the current lineup for Quixel products are regularly broken in some versions.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Does Sketchfab support multiple materials/texture sheets ?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Getting one of the free (or insanely cheap) game engines is definitely one of the best options. 3DO is free but still actively in heavy development http://quixel.se/dev/3do
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    It's not a realtime renderer, but the Cycles renderer that ships with Blender is physically-based if you set it up right and the render quality is quite high.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Sketchfab should-although If I remember right it was a pain for me to personally get it working. Others I believe it was simple. Been a while since I uploaded to Sketchfab though.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I can't help but feel, as useful as Sketchfab is for online presentation, would it not be a better use of someone's time to just get your hands dirty with an existing game engine since game developers use game engines most of the time?
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Does Sketchfab support multiple materials/texture sheets ?

Yup, you have an editor to set all that up. Only thing is for stuff with alpha you need to separate the individual objects in your project to prevent alpha sorting issues.

I'd also recommend blender game engine provided your model doesn't use alpha channels at all. You have a lot of great stuff like ramp shaders and nodes you can use.

I like it best for more cartoony or cell shaded stuff. I've seen other people do other stuff too.

But alpha sorting is absolutely terrible in blender.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    May I ask the reason why you are looking for an alternative ? Toolbag2 is pretty much the best at what it does and is not that expensive, so surely enough there is a specific missing feature that you are looking for. Pointing it out would help us making relevant recommendations.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    pior wrote: »
    May I ask the reason why you are looking for an alternative ? Toolbag2 is pretty much the best at what it does, so surely enough there is a specific missing feature that you are looking for. Pointing it out would help us making relevant recommendations.

It would also help us make Toolbag a better application :D
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Considering the "free" in OP's post I should think that the problem is simply that Toolbag 2 costs money. Not much you can do about that. :)

Just pick up Unity, CryEngine or UE4. Toolbag2 is basically just a real-time engine aimed at simplifying final presentation work anyways. You'll have to jump through a few hoops and learn to set up nice shaders to get stuff looking good, but you'll have to do that if you get an industry job anyway, so think of it as practice.
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    If you are a student, you can get a UE4 subscription for free. It requires more work to set up shaders but it's purdy.