Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Humanity First Corridor

Hey Polycount, it's been forever since I've posted any art so I thought I'd create a thread for my current personal project. I've been tinkering with it here and there in my free time after work but I'd like to start putting some more focus on it. Any feedback, critique or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

The scene is based on this Deus Ex: Human Revolution concept by Eric Gagnon.

9ppJKZF.jpg

I purposely chose a somewhat simple concept as far as geometry and composition goes as my main goal is to explore the new lighting and materials of Unreal Engine 4. It will also make it easier to actually complete in a reasonable amount of time.

After getting the camera angle and layout fairly close, here is my current progress. All materials and lighting are placeholder.

1PzLVtn.png

I'm also taking this opportunity to mess around with different types workflows for texturing. Since the surfaces in the scene are very clean and simple I didn't want to spend time baking any unique normal maps. I also didn't want to spend time coming up with a texture sheet that would work for all the panel seams while maintaining texel density. Instead, I am attempting to have the geometry do most of the work for me via bevels and placing panel seams and bolts with a second UV set and a very small normal map.

AgOQfeJ.png

I have only placed a few seams so far so there is still a chance that I'll run into some issues with this method.I'm anticipating having issues with any location where the seams intersect. It also drives up the tri and vert count on my meshes but I'm willing to let that slide for such a small scene. It may end up being more trouble than it's worth and I'll just model the panels in as well.

For now I'm going to start moving on to more fleshed out materials, possibly using Substance Designer. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them!

Also, bonus points to anyone that can tell me what the top line of text on the back wall of the concept says. My girlfriend claims it reads "Chimichanga Department" so that's where it currently stands.

Replies

• CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    looks promising, curious how your texturing workflow is going to work out

good luck : )
  • Dmellott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dmellott greentooth
    The shot layout looks spot on to the concept. Looking forward to following this thread! Definitely gonna keep my eye on this one.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
    Excellent job on nailing the concept's layout of the scene. Looking good. :thumbup:

Obviously the lighting will make a huge difference on the overall composition. The only crit I have now is the plant and whether or not you are finished with its silhouette? The lower one is at a rule of thirds "hot spot" and establishes an important contrast against all the man-made hard surfaces in the scene. The plant you have now looks bare and weak so I would suggest bearing it up closer to the concept.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Candy Stripes05, Dmellott - Thanks guys!

ScottMichaelH - Thanks for the comment! I should have mentioned in the initial post that the plants are currently placeholder as well, just a preset plant I exported from 3ds Max. I'll eventually do a proper asset with a stronger silhouette. Cheers!
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    That's sure is a nice concept,and i'm looking forward to seeing were you are going with this :)
    Also, bonus points to anyone that can tell me what the top line of text on the back wall of the concept says. My girlfriend claims it reads "Chimichanga Department" so that's where it currently stands

I think it's Chirurgical Department along with Doctor Office and Laboratory,sounds more plausible imho :D
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like a good start to me.

Compositionally, missing that light at the end of the hallway on that left side, as well as the light blooming in from the windows on the left in the foreground, causes your blockout to look a little right-heavy compared to the concept.

So for that second UV set...are you planning on having the whole surface use that second uv set, and just cut in geometry so you can map UV2 to only have those narrow strips use the detail while the rest gets collapsed in the corner?

Looking forward to seeing how you handle materials. I've been dipping my toes in substance designer as well, so I'm interested to see what you do if you use it.

Good luck man!
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Oh! Dat mood, i love it ... Good game !

On edit: the first image gives the inpression that it's your work, while its the concept. ;)
  • S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S2Engine polycounter lvl 10
    Very cool project, definitely looking forward to seeing how the texturing workflow works out. If you're using the normal map details in UV2, what is UV1 for? Generic tiling materials?
  • Umar Khan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Umar Khan polycounter lvl 2
    Love the way you approached this, i am doing this this very concept in ue4 for my university project. I have very limited ue4 knowledge though.

Looking at the way you are making the panel seams and bolt, how do you apply the normal to that specific uv channel and have it not affect the rest of the mesh? are you making a material id for the seams and bolt and applying that normal to it? or some other mysterious way?