Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - The Derelict Mantle - pour.quoi & Kenton_TS

null
Hello Polycount! Kenton_TS and I are teaming up to create a very special throne: A Techno Lich's!

The core idea is a throne that uses incredibly advanced machinery to keep whomever sits upon it alive. The King that possesses this throne would be completely insulated from death by the wonders of technology, free to rule indefinitely.

Or at least, he would, if that technology had not fallen to such a state of disrepair. As it stands, this once glorious throne sits in the shambled remains of its fallen empire; unable to move, biding time...

It’s a mash-up of concepts that lends heavily to science fiction and fantasy elements. Art direction wise we’re shooting for a fairly realistic; albeit stylized visual flare, similar to something like Destiny, Warframe or in the case of books, Dune.

Both Kenton_TS and I are attending college and are using this as an opportunity to both hone our skills and cut our proverbial teeth in a real world application of our skills. On top of this, maintaining a project like this in a team setting is an invaluable skill we both hope to improve on with experience.

For this project we’ll be using:
Maya
Photoshop
Illustrator
Zbrush
xNormal
Substance Designer
UE4

We’re both excited to be here competing with so many talented people, and look forwards to showcasing our work and visual styles!

Replies

• pour.quoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pour.quoi null
    These are the various pieces of reference we compiled for our piece. It’s from multiple sources and varying concepts, but cover either the structural look we’re trying to go for, or provide a strong reference for shape and form that could help flesh out the final designs:

t687Sed.pngW16Ua15.pngiRNLviz.pngBLy17Bx.png
  • Kenton_TS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We started out with trying to nail down the look of the throne. Here's all of our ideas, compiled.
    Q92lesC.png
  • Kenton_TS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some rough ideas for the throne area. We wanted to go for a sort of flying dais; made of rock married with technology, and out of reach from mere mortals.

ItC8xMp.png
  • Kenton_TS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick layout, to give an idea of what we're actually going for. The area that the dais floats in is a large cavern, held up by massive rock pillars.

bBPT1xx.png
  • pour.quoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pour.quoi null
    Well we had to pick one throne, and after much planning and deliberation we've chosen this lovely little number right here:

Q7QlBMG.png

We both liked it for different reasons, but ultimately the tall, thin and imposing shape of this throne was what did it. It plays both interesting shapes with negative space, as well as creates the subconscious profile of a guillotine, which helps tie it into the Lich motif we outlined for our initial concept. Couple it in with the crystals to break up the profile and add more visual interest, and I think we have a really solid throne!
  • Whalebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whalebones polycounter lvl 11
    I really like the choice for the throne, what kind of theme will you be going with? Is it ice or crystal?

I saw you were hoping to give the impression that this throne is keeping whoever it is alive, artificially. Though I like the concept I would say that may it should look a bit comfier? I mean if this thing is a king's or queen's life boat, they don't want to sit on stone or metal. Just something to consider!

Keep up the cool designs and look forward to seeing how it evolves!
  • Kenton_TS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, glad you like it!

We're going with crystals. While it would make more sense for the throne to be comfortable, we designed it to be more imposing or threatening; a throne of a mad tyrant as opposed to a benevolent king or queen.

I'm glad we're doing this contest, this is so exciting!
  • pour.quoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pour.quoi null
    It took some fiddling but our final design for the dais and floating platforms is finished:

MSBV0IL.pngKxXVCiN.png
  • juoolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juoolz polycounter lvl 3
    I love the theme and I'm a sucker for back stories...really gets the imagination going. Looking forward to seeing this develop.
  • rribeiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys keep working hard on those pieces, the concept arts are looking amazing. I can`t wait to see the 3d work.
  • pour.quoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pour.quoi null
    Sorry it's been a while: but here are some of the block models we're using for reference with our objects!

Layout:
    f8JGSDh.png3SPYjyS.png

Mood:
    31Fmr13.pngmzc4VRM.png
  • pour.quoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pour.quoi null
    Hey everybody! We have another update here, this one for the platform and throne room, now both in unreal!

Here we have a side-by-side comparison between two platforms, one with a simple lambert, and one with a platform material built in Substance Designer, before several bitmap images were exported and then used to build the final material in Unreal:

xTKQm6N.png
    FZQf4Hi.png

We're probably going to change the color of the metals to something less inky, although I can't deny how beautiful it looks in a physical rendering engine!

On top of this the thrones block model is done and is set for UV mapping and texturing; as well as the center dais and overhanging crystal.

UwKDo5m.png
    lstrhqi.png

Let us know what you're thoughts are on our throne, we're always happy for feedback!
  • pour.quoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pour.quoi null
    If your whole scene is combination of crystal, grit and metal, it better look like GOOD crystal, grit and metal:

JyL19YZ.png
    2SH6cVI.png

I think we're succeeding!

The metal material was constructed entirely out of procedural maps in Substance designer, along with several color masks and layer overlays. The crystal material was a bit more challenging however, and I ended up using a modified version of the material laid out in this tutorial, built almost entirely in Unreal: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xM5dHYM9dg[/ame]

The Graph is broken up into parts here:

FcuHI0V.png

With all these posts about metal and crystals, you might think we've forgotten the most important piece, the throne! Rest assured:

fQmOMJO.png

eAJ907V.png

You won't have to wait long to see it! We're just adding a few finishing touches!

Leave a comment if you'd like, we'd love to hear what you think!
  • Malodomini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malodomini polycounter lvl 6
    That's looking great you two! From concept to models and textures, it looks really solid. Can't wait to see the whole thing!
  • lopezmolano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking amazing!!!! Great concepts and design. Cheers! :D
  • pour.quoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pour.quoi null
    While it's certainly not a recommended approach for a workflow, we've finally come around to the throne! I have to say though, I think the extra time spent refining was worth it:

WOBPsRv.png

I spent a lot of time bringing together the textures and tweaking the the glow and crystal to get something a little more visually pleasing.

pWdt5wr.png

Real time rendering is probably my favorite rendering method because of how quickly you can tweak and modify what you're visually seeing, rather then more traditional rendering methods. It's that speed that lets you so quickly iterate until you have something that looks passable to downright beautiful!

aTfDTGS.png

That being said, there are some things I'd change. Although I love the inky black background, I'm not sure if it works as well as some other backgrounds might, and as well, I could stand to tweak the lighting more. The biggest thing I might change however is the seat of the chair. Although I loved the concept, looking back I made some choices with the design that could have served the overall design better (Mostly in the shape and form of the chair).

I'll be taking the next few days off to relax with family and enjoy my one week free of school. I'll be periodically checking on things however, and don't think I'm not going to be making plans for my throne during the whole time!

Also; @lopezmolano? Cheers to you bro!