Home Quixel Megascans

SOLVED: IN PROGRESS: Can only run Q Suite once then have to restart

Quixel Suite 1.8 Win 7 64 Bit.

This happens pretty much every time.

I start PS run dDo and then close it to do something else.

I can never then open dDo again.

I have to restart my computer.

Anyone else?

Very annoying.

Replies

• CKohl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    If you check your Task Manager, is the process still running? For me, rarely some of the SUITE tools don't properly exit, so even though their window is gone I can see their process is still running but in some sort of hung state. If that happens I can't start it again because it hasn't finished stopping. Ending the process by hand fixes the issue.

However, assuming this might also be what is happening for you, I'm not sure what would cause it to happen every time you exit other than maybe something fudged with the install (or fudged supporting framework like visual studio) or a bad cache somewhere that needs to be cleared.
  • Richard Culver
    Yeah, thanks. I did figure it out, but new here so I lost where the thread went or forgot where I posted it.

But in any case I did find it in Task Manager as you said. But for me it is far from rare. It happens every day.

I have no idea why. But I think it has to be a bug.
  • CKohl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    Out of curiosity, what is your procedure for exiting? I've found (and I'm sure this is a bug) that if I exit Photoshop before exiting Suite, then Suite will usually hang in the manner described above. This can also happen if I exit both in rapid succession (i.e. hit the X button on the Suite toolbar and the Photoshop window as fast as I can move my mouse cursor from one to the other).

As a result, I've taken to exiting Suite first, giving it a couple seconds to exit (5-10 should do the trick) and then exiting Photoshop after that.
  • Richard Culver
    For me it is usually that I am in Photoshop. And I want to do something else. So I start by closing all of the files, then dDo then close the Suite window.

Then I do more work in Photoshop to prep files for my next dDo project and want to start up the suite again to work there. And this is when I would find I could not open the Suite again.

So I would close PS and try again to open the Suite again but that would fail too. Before thinking to look at the Task Manager I'd have to restart my system.

This is the same procedure I was using for dDo before the Suite release. And with dDo classic this worked all the time no issues.

Then when I started using the Suite, I have noticed this same bug in the beta release but never bothered to come here and post about it or report a bug.

Additionally I find another bug in 1.8 where it hangs on start up of dDo from the Suite window.

First of all the Suite window opens but is hidden behind PS. Second, when I try to open dDo it hangs, shows the dDo app running in the TM but nothing happens. And it is not to be found anywhere.

I don't know why it is doing this yet.
  • CKohl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    Darn. I've got nothing, then. :P
  • Richard Culver
    Yeah, strange.

OK I'll report a bug then. Thanks for taking the time. :)
  • Bino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a similar issue.

I'm on Windows 8.1 64bit. I just registered for Photoshop CC and Quixel.
    I'm on the latest Photoshop CC and Quixel.

After installation Quixel works. Once I close Photoshop or restart my PC it no longer appears. It's not in the task manager either.

Currently my only work around is re installing - incredibly annoying.

Any ideas? Maybe I should just stick to programming rather trying to be an artist\programmer! :P

This issue doesn't reflect well on Quixel.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Culver - Did closing the application i task manager enable you open it agan? Are you running the suite and PS as admin? if not I would suggest trying that as it might solve your issues!

Bino - I would suggest the same to you, run the Suite and PS as admin, also check to see if there is any antivirus blocking the suite from starting! Don´t give up your dreams :)
  • Richard Culver
    Yeah it works after I close it in task manager. If problems persist, I'll try your suggestion.
  • Bino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bino - I would suggest the same to you, run the Suite and PS as admin, also check to see if there is any antivirus blocking the suite from starting! Don´t give up your dreams

Thanks for the encouragement :) The dream is still alive and kicking.

Still not starting when PS does - ONLY starts when I open PS from the installer.

- No antivirus installed (living on the edge!)
    - Installed as admin
    - Opened Photoshop as admin
    - Not in the task manager
    - Completely turned off Windows UAC (really living on the edge...) and it still doesn't start

Happy to try anything else.

Why isn't there some sort of button I can click from PS? Is auto starting the only way?

EDIT:

SOLUTION?
    I just pinned SUITE.exe (C:\Users\Public\Quixel\SUITE\x64\bin\Release)
    and start from that. I'm now thinking I'm an idiot that's how it's supposed to be opened?
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bino - Yes that is how it is suppose to be started :) Im not sure how you tried to start it? but it would be great if you told me, because maybe it´s not totally clear and others are having the same problem.

Glad you can start your dream now!
  • Bino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bino - Yes that is how it is suppose to be started Im not sure how you tried to start it? but it would be great if you told me, because maybe it´s not totally clear and others are having the same problem.

Glad you can start your dream now!

Hi Eric

I was thinking about the confusion on the way to work this morning... After installation you are prompted if you want Quixel to start. Then you see Photoshop start and the Quixel menu - this for some reason gave me the impression that you need to start Photoshop to start Quixel. Also I'm on Windows 8.1 so I don't really see a programs menu any more (No one uses the crap Windows 8 tile screen on PC) so it never really clicked.

Basically I'm an idiot and I created the worlds worst PBR cube ever. Not ready to give up on the dream!

Sorry for the hassle.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bino - no worries at all, that´s what this forum is for, trial and error :) There are some nice tutorials on using the suite (More to come) on the Quixel youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/quixelteddy

So stick with it and Im sure you´ll start getting some nice results!