Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - The Hunter's Throne - DesireeFernandes & MexPineapple

Hey everyone! Des and I are going to be creating the Hunter's throne, the room where the famous and fierce hunter accepts their visitors and sits to look in pride upon their conquests while enjoying the finer side of life.

The environment will be an indoor scene with hand painted textures and a focus on telling a story about a character through their environment.

This was a very rough prelim sketch to just get the idea down. A rough sketch/layout of the room in Maya will be coming soon as well as some more concept art to nail down prop ideas and room arrangements.

wtdTnbu.png

Mex's goals for the project are to get her feet wet in working on her first environment. She wants to have some fun with sculpting and hand painting for environments/props rather than characters, which is what she usually does.

Des's goals are to make really well polished props. She'd also like to work on lighting and hand painting in general.

Software that we're using:
3DS Max and Maya
Zbrush
Photoshop
xNormal
Substance Painter/Designer
UE4

Replies

• polytom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polytom polycounter lvl 4
    That's such a good idea!

Definitely take a look at Allan Quatermain's house from the film, A League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

All the best with it :)
  • MexPineapple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! and oh man I totally didnt think about that (and its one of my fave movies too!) Thanks for the suggestion, will definitely look through that :D
  • DesireeFernandes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DesireeFernandes polycounter lvl 7
    Hey all, I'm the other half of this team and I thought I'd share our moodboard and preliminary asset list.

Moodboard:
    huntersthrone_moodboard.png
    There's going to be a large focus on warm tones and materials like woods and furs, as the general style of the room is based off of a hunting lodge. The room is going to feel cozy and inviting, as it serves as a show of accomplishments and achievements for the hunter.

Since Mex is primarily a character artist and I'm an environment artist, we're going to use that to our advantage and play on our strengths in what we each take on for the room.

Asset Lists:

Mex's List
    Mounted Animal Heads
    Deer/Elk
    Mountain Lion or Wolf
    Animal Head mount

Throne
    Chan-deer-lier (deer antler?)
    Small table (next to throne?)
    Table-bound light source (lamp)
    Brown Bear rug
    5 Knick Knacks (rolled up map, pack of ammo, animal antler or set of teeth?)

Des's List
    Wall
    Wall with Door
    Wall with Window
    Wall with Fireplace
    Mounted Weapons
    Sniper Rifle
    Recurve Bow

Chair and Table Set
    Area Rug
    Knick Knack Shelf (Standing/Wall-Mounted)
    5 Knick Knacks
  • polytom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polytom polycounter lvl 4
    Nice reference!

Looking forward to seeing a blockout :)
  • DesireeFernandes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DesireeFernandes polycounter lvl 7
    Hey all, so we've finally gotten the blockout done, including some preliminary lighting! Don't mind the lightmap issues too much, since these are all blockout meshes we didn't bother making proper UVs for them. This is mostly for positioning of the major props and appropriately sizing the room.

Also, if anyone has tips on making a night sky in UE4, we'd really appreciate the help. We've got it close but it could be less foggy and more night-y, if that makes sense.

Please let us know what you think, we'd really appreciate the critique and feedback! Thanks! :)

throneblockout_1.png
    throneblockout_2.png
    throneblockout_3.png
    throneblockout_4.png
  • MexPineapple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @polytom: Thanks! The blockout helped a lot with deciding the size and shape of the room, as well as the lighting

Here are the color concepts of the throne shape we decided on. Leaning more towards blues for accents in the room to balance out the red/yellow of the firelight.
    The final chair shape has some animal flair in added to it with the armrests shaped a bit like antlers and the legs of the chair shaped like deer feet and hooves.
    The lighter goldish brown rows are supposed to represent color concepts for the chair being made of bronze. I figure this will be a good way to get into the grit of PBR rendering.
    Goal for having concepts done for the rest of my bit is the end of this week. Gonna get into modelling the hard surface stuff by this weekend!

z6vp5GY.png