Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Simple Rocks | Looking for crits

Hello Polycounters! :) Im looking for criticism for these rocks I modeled in 3Ds Max, sculpted in zBrush and baked using xNormals.
  • Normal Map
  • Ambient Occlusion Map
  • Curvature Map
xa0CrxV.jpg
skq0iKT.jpg
j7MMZ6O.jpg

Please fire away! :poly122: ( I am aware that 2k textures for just a rock is a little unnecessary :P )

Replies

• Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    I quite like the art style, its simplistic but it still has a sense of realism, its not overly stylized.

The background of the stone texture looks like of like acrylic paint on a canvas
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    right now overall it seems like the edges of the rock are too uniform, and could benefit from some variation. each face seems to come to a thin edge, that edge can be broken up into smaller flat faces. and as it is right now, each face is pretty flat. id experiment around by taking a buildup brush and just going nuts ontop of the flat faces, then trimming them down with hpolish or trimsmooth border. just get messy with it, you usually get great results from doing that. look at this one for example http://www.wmwinkinhoferinc.com/resources/Boulders/Brown-Boulder.jpg

as far as texture..ditch the bright white edges on your texture, and maybe make them just a less saturated or even slight hue offset from the base color, and you definitely need more color variation overall. take a look at this as an example. http://www.krcrock.com/ecom/images/baja%20blond%201.jpg play around with different texture sources. masking them out with some grunge brushes or grungy images as a base.
  • reMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Oniram for the crits, I'll look into your points tomorrow and start experimenting :)

Thanks Doxturtle for the kind response :D good luck with the crate your creating btw
  • Joltya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joltya polycounter lvl 10
    I don't know if it's just me, but it appears that the rocks have a sort of digital camo pattern. I see a lot of square like patterns when I look at it.
  • XemnasKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Jotya, they do have a camo feel to them. Also they all have a feeling of being really soft. Lastly they all essentially have the same shape to me. Try varying that up some.