Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM – Crash Zone – Mysteryotto

This challenge looks like fun! My starting goal for this throne room is to focus on story telling. The setting will be a fantasy jungle setting and the centerpiece will be a crashed landing pod. The idea is that a criminal's escape pod crashed in this jungle and they now reside/rule here, using the escape pod as an acting throne. I'm trying to visualize this room from the perspective of a player, where this place would serve as an arena for a boss fight. I'm looking forward to taking part in this challenge and seeing what everyone can do. Good Luck!

Software:
3DS Max
Zbrush
Substance Painter
Substance Designer

Some reference sheets I threw together to get the creativity flowing; I'm aiming for a fun mix of sci-fi and nature.
AhkG1mb.jpg
vSyHz9x.jpg

Replies

• Mysteryotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some initial Sketch work. Did a few silhouettes to see if I could find a shape I was digging. A round shape with jagged edges stood out so I went with that. The design behind the throne itself is that it is a prisoner pod that has either escaped or was launched (possibly from space) with prisoner within. I included a closed image that I started with, but my plan is to model the pod open, signifying the occupant's escape. The outside panels move on swivels and hinges for the pod to open and expose its contents, which I tried to illustrate with arrows. I hope to elaborate on this a bit more as I move on the next step of setting up the room layout.
    MzdtcyF.jpg
  • Mysteryotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to do some design work in terms of layout for my throne room. The idea, is that there is an access platform that supports bridges for adventurers to cross into the the throne room area. The smaller sphere represents the throne and its placement where it crashes. The throne is backed my large rock walls and the rest of the area is surrounded by randomly placed platforms. As of now, I have cliffs representing these platforms, but I've just received a tip to changing some of them to crash debris hanging from tree and vines that will eventually surround this enclosure; I think that this is a good idea and I will definitely be looking into working that in. As of now, I'm not particularly fond of the current setup in regards to the area in front of the throne. I intend to fill it will debris, obstructions, and other places to hide, but it all seems rather bland. I'm going to continue working on the overall design as I start to concept assets. For funsies, the line of spheres going under the throne room is placeholder for a possible boss/creature type that awakens mid battle and joins the fight.[SKETCHFAB]79d2f740062249dc9b4b2cb841703c86[/SKETCHFAB]