Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - Seat of the Stargazer - (Team) Jellied Whales

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Whalebones polycounter lvl 11
Hey there!

Going to be going for a very vertical scene based around a giant gyroscope/planetarium/astrarium device based behind the throne. Both me and my teammate will be posting updates through the post!

Here's what the device is looking like currently.

GyroMax_zpsfc473efd.jpg

Scene update to come in a little bit!

Replies

• Tkail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi i'm chalks teammate with an update on the general shape of the room so far
    the grey is my blockouts and the red Astatium/gyrosope is Chalks
    Throneroom_wip_20_01_15_withcharlie.jpg
    Feedback is greatly appreciated :)
  • EpicBeardMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EpicBeardMan polycounter lvl 8
    This one looks pretty interesting, I might say. Love the design of the "sculpture" of the planetarium. Looking forward to future posts.

Good luck!
  • Whalebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers mate, thanks for the feedback.

We're very excited about this, looking forward to getting all the cool stuff in and filling out the design a bit more!

Going to have some banners and curtains hung up, braziers and astrolabes leading to/up the stairs. Loads of cool things going on.
  • Tkail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A bunch more stuff has been placeholdered. I'm not sure if its starting to get too visually noisy? the banners/drapes look cool though. I think it'll help to have more props that ground the size of a human as right now other than the throne there is no contextual size in the scene.
    Throneroom_wip_21_01_15_withcharlie.jpg
  • marreia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marreia polycounter lvl 8
    I LOVE the gyroscope and how organic it looks, but then with the new additions they don't complement each other well currently. The walls above the columns create harsh horizontals as well as the venting stuff on the bottom left? The fluting and the accent on the columns on the bottom also make it super busy and again somewhat conflicting with the organic shapes of the gyroscope. Maybe go for free standing columns and possibly not have them completely traditional?

I found this picture to try and help with trying to stray away from traditional columns and possibly help avoid that harsh transition.

lotus-columns2.gif

Anyhoo, I look forward to the progress you make and good luck! ^_^
  • Whalebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey marreia, thanks for the feedback! =]

We've actually updated the scene quite a bit since yesterday. We got some really good feedback given to us by our lecturers suggesting that the scene was very cramped and the actual throne is kind of overshadowed by the gyroscope. But also that the actual plinth the throne is on just gets in the way of the gyroscope.

So it got us thinking we should probably move the room around, maybe play with the size and shape a bit, to help go with the circular, organic shape and give the scene a bit more grandeur. So we came up with this! =D

New_room_zpsaukvsvp9.jpg

We still think the banners are a good match for the scene at the moment, but I fully see where you were coming from with them in the previous scene. As for those bit's on the columns, we got rid. The were a bit unnecessary and kind of took away from the actual design on the columns.

Thanks again! We'll have more updates soon!
  • Tkail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    takeing on board what marreia said, I toyed about with some more non standard supports.
    twisting%2Bsupports.JPG
    I liked how I could get these curvy shapes but the way the doughnut of marble felt like it was containing the area too much while also breaking up the flowing lines. So I got rid of it entirely and took a different approach.
    twisting%2Bhood.JPG
    The first attempt came out with this flower petal, slightly oriental backdrop for the throne still keeping the gyro a core piece of the scene. However me & charlie vetoed it as it clashed with the already set pusdo greek style.
    twisting%2Bsurround.JPG

the next was much more successful. replicating the internal detail of the gyro to bound the area with he throne worked quite well as the smooth curve drew the eye to the throne itself. Next came the lens components.

LenseKoint_1.PNG

the first attempt was a wash, looking far too fragile to support itself.

theextralense.JPG

The second was more successful resulting in the lens arm piece. Upon review Chalk felt it didn't quite work in the scene but i quite liked it so we decided to put it up for feedback here :). until we got feedback the development of the inner lenses was put on hold however during its construction i put a backer to the throne pedestal to help reduce the noise masking its silhouette.

thronebacker.JPG

last thing before lunch was the dome lens, which is now placeholder ed and ready to be first passed.

upperlense.JPG
  • Lawrence Preston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lawrence Preston polycounter lvl 5
    You guys have a great process. I love seeing the development of this idea
  • Whalebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Lawrence =] It's nice for us too, to see our development in such a short time from posting in the fourms.

Here's what I have been initially working on today, been playing around with ZBrush as well as joining Mike in sorting out the actual layout of the room and such.

GoodThroneZB_zpsuuwcvqmz.jpg

Really happy with how it's going so far, though it could/should be moving faster, but as it's our first week we'll let it slide, but next week we are going to destroy this throne room! Not literally of course.

There is going to quite a bit of wear on the throne, but likely to be made of a bright granite material. The panels on the back of the throne are going to be made of brass and probably have different constellations going down the centerpiece.
  • Aerashi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aerashi polycounter lvl 9
    Nice start guys :) Your work following Marreias feedback is nice to see, I really really like the 2nd image in your reply, the one you said was more oriental in nature.

I had a bunch of stuff to say about why you should stick with it (because I like it more haha) but you're right, I think the design you've settled on definitely leans more towards the regular idea of an orrery or gyroscope. Either way, looking to see this progress!

I also love seeing people figure out how stuff would work in their scene, not just slapping stuff together and saying "it works" :)
  • tobeeffle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tobeeffle polycounter lvl 5
    really nice start !
  • Whalebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for feedback guys, it's really motivating! =D

What we're onto at the moment is, partly whilst I'm carving away at the throne and some other assets, our lecturer has raised the question of texel density for our scene as it's super big. So what we're kind of doing now is a proof of concept that the textures for our scene won't come across as all pixelated if you walk up to it in engine. So you can look forward to seeing us give the scene some splashes of placeholder colour to test that theory.

Thanks again!
  • Whalebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little update on the throne. Been hammering away at the high poly sculpt all day. Though likely going to redo it as it's not exactly where I want it yet.

ThroneZB_zpszs1ar0jd.jpg

Also at the moment, just as I'm testing out how the normals transfer to a low poly model, I keep getting a weird kind of normals going on with it. It's not artifacting but it certainly isn't actually meant to be there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

NormalsIssue_zps5awjlp5k.jpg

Cheers guys!
  • CrunchieNut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good Chalk!
    Be careful you dont push the front face through the back side and lose the thickness of your stone. At the top there looks like that's about to happen. Also with the amount of crumbling/noise looks like it might not stay standing upright.
    Always helps to try think of the story behind why it's damaged.
    Is it age? (maybe crumble from top exposed edges, have dust/debris build up in the seat, or near the base, softer, rounded edges)
    Has it been damaged? (sharp cracking, localized where damage occured, scratched or shapes showing swinging of hammer/axe etc)

As for the baking issues, looks possibly like overlapped UV's or a projection picking up another bit of the model. Or hidden geometry being picked up in the bake?

Looks like you're having fun though :)
  • Whalebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey CrunchieNut, thanks! =D

Yeah I'm really enjoying it, been a while since I've played with ZBrush, so it's nice to get back to it!

I can see why you might think it's a bit thin, I didn't use the best angle, the back is quite thick:

ThroneZBSide_zpstwybohfq.jpg

But I will take on board what you said. I'm going to redo the throne anyway - give it a bit of a better story - now that I've got my mojo back with ZBrush haha.

Does it matter that the mesh is open? I took out the base underneath the throne. Thing is the pattern on the normal map looks very similar to the actual shape of the throne, so could it be that?
  • Whalebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I fixed it!

Basically, because the throne has some inner extrusions i.e. the seat area and the indent on the front of the throne, when the normal map is getting baked the camera is trying to accommodate for all the indents but struggles for some reason and then produced the odd detailing on the finished map.

So to counter that I just broke up the pieces that wouldn't bake properly into their respective UV islands and baked the normals individually and then assembled them in Photoshop!

CompNormal_zpsdp58zhff.jpg

CompNormalPhoto_zpszrwrt8hw.jpg
  • Whalebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, so the normal map works (kind of, but looks very ugly) but at least i know it works now and how I can counter the problem if it arises (which is highly like) when I redo the throne.

Throne1stInEngine_zpseufdwbik.jpg

So clearly I'm going to have to completely redo the sculpt and accommodate for the geometry I create with the low poly, though I will now likely just increase the polycount on the low poly and make that my lowest subdiv in ZBrush making it really easy to bake the normals in ZBrush
  • Whalebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New throne sculpted, with a bit more subtlety in the damage, and also modified the low poly to accommodate better for the baking process! =D

Fingers crossed that it works better this time!

ThroneNewGeo_zpsjxha1jiu.jpg
  • Whalebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update on the throne!

Normals have transferred perfectly, though may need to increase the strength of them to really make the detail pop. But regardless of that, it comes down to just tweaking now and can move forward with the texturing a little bit, but not before I sort out the brass panels on the back of the throne.

UE4Throne_zpszdzbxctb.jpg
  • Tkail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    today i wanted to mock up the kind of shader that will be used to place and show the marble floor tiles.

step1_photoshop.JPG

Step 1: build my maps, i planned to use multiple marble tiles and i knew i would also need some tile masks. in addition to this i built a few normal tiles and a roughness map for the tiles.

Step2_importing.JPG

Step 2: pretty simple, upload the maps to UE4 (making sure the normal maps are being treated as normal maps by the engine)

Step3_matAuthoring.JPG

Step 3: The most time consuming, authoring the material. I used multiple masking layers to place and orient the tiles so that the repetition wasn't immediately obvious. I tried to keep all my Texture UV modifiers coming off the two master nodes meaning that changing the scale of the textures was quick and easy.

Step5_inscene.JPG

Step 4: a quick variation of the white marble made black

Step 5: dump em into the scene

Step6_inengine.JPG
    Step 6+7: take sex poses with MR Teal

there are still some things to do do before this material is final. (increase the randomization,Varying tile sizes? a deeper white?)
  • Tkail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick final update for today with some VERY rough blockouts, just to make sure the scale and materials work as intended and to make sure I'm familiar with the process.
    Theblockoutinengine3.JPG

Theblockoutinengine5.JPG

quite a few things need to be changed and added but now we have a working Ue3 Project file. I'm not sure whither we should wait till the scene is built out light it or if we should do a lighting solution plan now.
  • Whalebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey people!

Been a while since we updated, last week was a bit of a wash for me and Tkail, just one of those weeks where we were doing stuff, just didn't feel like we did a lot. Not this week though!!!

Been playing with Substance over the past few days, it's a bit daunting at first, but seem to be picking it up now. Just got to figure out painter now, to get the best results.

SubDes_zps7nls78wd.jpg

Consider this a warning that we shall be uploading a lot more stuff this week! Motiviation!
  • Tkail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The motivation is real, here's a quick update to what the scene's like in engine atm.
    HighresScreenshot00001.jpg
    I like the way how the aperture in the dome highlights the throne spot, all the textures need a rework however. there's still loads to do :D
  • Whalebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New throne update!

I think I had been putting it off and ignoring the signs before now, but after a little bit a of a step back i realised the throne we had didn't actually fit the seen practically. In theory it seemed fine.

However, I would like to unveil the new design for the throne!

ThroneRedesign2_zpswie7chta.jpg
  • Tkail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick update on the rooms progress. Capture2.JPGCapture1.JPG
  • Whalebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting work on the centre astrolabe/gyro now, got the normals sorted (almost) need more details though. But at least I know that they look good with their current progress.

NormalMappedGyro_zpszmxq9hzq.jpg
  • Whalebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last update of the day for me on the gyro guys.

Happy with how it's gone today, material feels solid now just need to sort out the centre part with the orb and the other centre piece!

GyroMatUE4_zpsmjxzdqes.jpg
  • guategeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guategeek polycounter lvl 9
    Looking cool, the new throne definitely fits better than the old one, with all the curves in your environment and such.
  • Whalebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guategeek!

Yeah exactly my thoughts! Glad it's coming together nicely now =]
  • Tkail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scene is coming together. Charlies gyro looks good and the stairs looks good composition wise but their light maps have issues. The throne is in the scene now and the banners really help the composition. after a few touch ups to models the next focus will be adding a narrative to the scene.
    Capture1.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    Capture5.JPG
    Capture6.JPG
    Capture4.JPG
  • Tkail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Screen Dump, Analysis tomorrow.
    SceneRender1.JPG
    SceneRender2.JPG
    SceneRender3.JPG
    SceneRender4.JPG
    SceneRender5.JPG
    SceneRender.JPG
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Very cool, love where this is going :)
  • Whalebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Minos. We're very very close to having this done! So happy with it!
  • pour.quoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pour.quoi null
    It's looking totally rad man! Keep it up!
  • Whalebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just so people know, both Tkail and myself have been taking part in this contest as part of our university project, which has been divided into 3 four week sprints and this project has met its four weeks, sad to say.

HOWEVER! Just because this isn't going to be receiving our full attention anymore, doesn't mean we're done. Oh no! We're going to be carrying this throne room on right up to the end of the submission. So even though our updates may be a little lacking sometimes, we are still welcoming all critique and will be continuing to add and iterate on the scene and its assets!

We have a few more ideas we want to throw around and put in the scene, so you'll be seeing that being put up very soon!

Look out for our next projects coming up starting next week as we'll be posting those as well in their own respective threads and in the WAYWO thread also!

Thanks so far for all the feedback and kind words given! See ya soon! =]
  • wvaughn409
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest shots look great except for the floor and the far wall. Texture on floor is too tiled. Maybe a custom floor design with a big round crest or symbol of some kind at the base of the stairs and then some surrounding circular tiling would break it up. The far wall texture could probably tile okay but it looks stretched horizontally. are those uv's flattened? other than these two items this scene is really cool and reminds me of that place in skyrim when u go down in an ice cave and talk to this crazy scientist. architectural stuff is very unique and interesting :)