Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM _ The Forgotten Throne - Team Bird

Replies

• Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    I think this looks great! :) the layering works really well, I think :)
  • hewitt96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hewitt96 polycounter lvl 10
    Still not 100% satisfied with the relief design, but I'm going to call this one done in the interest of time (plus I'm not even sure it'll be seen in the final image). Yikes, four weeks to go... Looking to finish this wall set this weekend and get it into Ue4.

trc_arch_wall_top_progress_02.jpg
  • hewitt96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Incorporated a test wall into the Scene...

Scene_Progress_001.jpg
  • hewitt96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to pick up the pace with the deadline approaching. Worked on some textures today.The intention is to vertex paint them while world building in engine.

trc_arch_floor_breakout_01.jpg
  • monkeybit29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeybit29 polycounter lvl 8
    Looking effin rad! Can't wait to see the end result! :)
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat Justice polycounter lvl 10
    was hoping to have this a little more polished up, but its been WAAAAY to long since I posted a WIP. I still need to do a cleanup and polish pass to fix a few details and add some more signs of age and weathering.

2UYkbaa.jpg

Most sections were done by unwrapping the base mesh in max and photoshopping together our existing height maps to create a displacement map. I tried a few approaches with stamps and stencils, but this method proved to be best for getting the design evenly spaced around the sections.

The idol head for the top used a bit of a different approach. I roughed out base meshes for major sections and details in max and used turbosmooths with preserve smoothing groups turned on to get an initial subdivision. I brought those meshes into Zbrush for further detailing. I'm pretty happy with how well this method did at creating the pieced together feel of a lot of the mayan carvings in our inspiration photos.

I'm also surprised how quickly it went. I'd guess that so far the head's taken up about 6-8 hours spread over a couple of evenings. The progress with the head is good news for us getting the throne done, as I'm planning to use more ore less the same method, possibly leaning a bit heavier on the hard surface modeling in max for the non-organic metal elements.
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My base meshes for the idol head. Figured i'd post in case anyone was interested in how it broke down. I probably could have used a few more loops on the nose part...

pABGtrm.jpg
  • hewitt96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That column is looking pretty sweet John!! Especially the top most piece. :)

Played around in substance lately. I found a great tut on Eat3D on making procedural plant leaves. It took a bit less than 5 hours to build everything in the graph. And then it took about 5 minutes to export version one then tweak the numbers and export version two. Overall, not as much direct control as say building this in ZBrush but hey, saved a bunch of time. :) Here is what I ended up with.

trc_plant_breakout_01.jpg

trc_plant_breakout_02_1.jpg
  • hewitt96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the Level. Imported all the work I've done over the last few weeks and made some basic shaders in Ue4. Should get John's columns in soon too.

Scene_Progress_002.jpg
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick post to show my test bake for a chunk of the Low poly column. Since the carvings stand out a good bit from the surface I generated LP meshes with decimation master and did some cleanup by hand in Max. Slows the process down a bit but the extra shilouette detail gives it a nice organic feel. Especially on the segments with more spread out carvings, which i unfortunately didn't use for this test... doh.

mMslfTZ.jpg
  • hewitt96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made enough progress on stuff to warrent an update. I made a few quick rocky-type assets and a few shaders in engine. Both the floor and the main ceiling mesh have a vertex painting capable material applied with a few various textures applied to each. Gonna start the throne foundation here pretty soon (finally lol).

Scene_Progress_003.jpg
  • hewitt96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the throne foundation. Got the sculpt done (sped up with some reuse of previous sculpt from John's Column), next to texture and get this in game. trc_arch_throne_foundation_breakout_01_1.jpg
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update on my progress; It's coming down to the wire, but the last few pieces are falling into place. The column has its normals and AO baked out, and I'm on to the highpoly for the throne itself. Once that's done and baked, I'll circle back for a final texture pass over both. Fortunately I'm on PTO tomorrow so I'll have a full day to work on finishing everything up. (yes, I took time off from making art so I could make art)

3N1hfIA.jpg

Having some trouble getting a good AO bake for the middle segments of the column... Might have to revisit that later if there's time.

yzMUtu2.jpg
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (yes, I took time off from making art so I could make art)
    *high five*
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    *high five*

haha Thanks! :) It's probably gonna be a lot like work but with better coffee and a looming threat of cat-related loss of work..

V2dKo44.jpg

Posting a quick render of the HP throne before calling it a night. It took a long time but I think I got the ornate feel I was wanting.

Uw9EAgo.jpg
  • NyanBlaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyanBlaster polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome work and awesome cat! Why my cat never "helps" me :(
  • hewitt96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last update before our Final submission. We're down to the wire, but i think we're able to pull it off. :D New stuffs in this update:
    -Post-Process pass
    -Lighting and Colors pass
    -John's Throne is in.
    -Throne Foundation is in.
    -Fx pass is in (dust and godrays).
    -World building is 90% done-ish
    -John's columns are in

Stuff left to go:
    -Top of the column piece.
    -Final textures for the columns, the throne, and throne foundation.
    -Pops of color on a few plants.
    -A vine plant (this one may get cut depending on how much we get done tonight and tomorrow night).

BACSHjK.jpg
  • hewitt96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    --Final Submission--

Members:
    -John Morris
    -William Hewitt

Programs Used:
    -Studio Max
    -Maya