Home Quixel Megascans

ANSWERED: Cutom material bug with color ID

Tried to apply a smart material that i saved myself after tweaking an excisting material. When trying to apply this material to a color ID on another project the materail ends up inside the group of a different color ID. The color ID is fine and works well with other materials.

This only seems to happen when i try to load one of my xustom smart materials. The same thing happens if i C shift in 3Do or add smart material from DDO window.
Also for some reason some of the custom materials i have saved only shows up on the bottom of the 3Do test mesh thumbnail thing. This is not an issue though. Just mentioning in cade it can give a lead. maybe something could be wrong with the custom smart material i saved? I have saved several and they all display this except one of them that displays as it should.

Replies

• Ingemar Lundgren
    The custom material that dsiplays correct on the thumbnail test mesh loads corect. All the others fail. So it seems i screwed up some of the custom materials i saved.

What could i have done to cause a custom maytrial not to work? I think i added another smart material inside the smart material group, a stone material to add texture to the normal map. I then disabled the albedo of the stone and only kept the normal map of the stone. It did not complain when i saved and the only error was that the material was not dosplayed corectly on the test mesh. The material worked fine in the project i worked on at that time.
  • Ingemar Lundgren
    Tried to create another custom smart material and added the stone texture inside the group with a clean layer instead and everything works now. Seems i just used tha software in a non intended supid way. Should have known adding a smart material inside the group of a smart material would cause problem.

So isse self resolved. Sorry for the thread. Remove if you want.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!
    There are known cases where adding a group within a group can cause problems, it does not seem to happen all the time though and its something we´re working on fixing, you should be able to add a smartmaterial within a smartmaterial!

When adding a smartmaterial with c+shift click, they are sometimes created inside of another material, this is a bug as well, it can in most cases be avoided by selecting the topmost smartmaterial before adding the next one, its alos to be fixed of course :)
  • Ingemar Lundgren
    Ok, thanks. t seems a bit hit and miss when a saved custom smart material will work at the moment. Its pretty easy to work around this though. Looking forward to 1.9.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hopefully these annoying bugs will be gone in next version!