Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The art of landscaping in SpeedTree & GrowFX (botanically correct plant modeling)

Hey guys,

I recently did a course for creating realistic plants (botanically correct) in SpeedTree( and soon GrowFX) I thought I'd share some of the
final images with you.
A little about the scene : Over 120 different species of plants was specially built just for this this scene from scratch,
which include moss, grass, flowers, plants, ivies, vines and trees. I ended up using about 30 different species for the scene.
I did use both Corona and V-ray to render out images. There are more than 400 billion polygons in the scene via instancing
(Using forest pack pro) and over 100 million unique polys. I also did use over 400 textures for the scene ranging from 0.5 k to 4k images.
Opacity is used for most leaves. All in all it took less than 8 hours to render the scene on an i7 4 core(8T) with 12GB of memory with over
60 render elements . (There are 2k and 4K renders)
Here's a link to the course if anyone is interested : http://shlece.com/product/the-art-of-landscaping-with-speedtree/
I'd appreciate any feedback :)
BUNtSVQ.jpg
rwOEwes.jpg
uHP2Eea.jpg

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    How much of this workflow do you think is transferrable to a game engine envirnoment? I've seen SpeedTree before, but my intial understanding was that it was good for just generating, well, lots of tree meshes procederually.
  • APloycountUser
    Hi,
    I'd say over 90 percent. But remember it's not just poly counts that matters in a game engine, there are also some other factors that should be considered.
    In fact SpeedTree cares about it being used in game engines more than they want it to be used in other application.
    I did put up this course as I thought that there's no complete/ of quality material out there for new artists to learn SpeedTree.
    One last thing is that the version of SpeedTree for games/ unity/ UDK is a little different in terms of functionality than Studio/ Cinema version.
    I should mention that those difference were not(& will not be) covered in the course though, as my first intention was to teach artists how to make best use of SpeedTree regardless of the version they choose.
    Please let me know if you've got any questions :)