Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low-Poly Boat - Practise

Hey guys!
I'm working on a Low-Poly model of a boat for a small video game. I need your feedback because it's hard for me to judge my own work with so little skill. :)

The boat will be visible for a player from a large distance. I base it on "Mako 21 lts" boat references and want to achieve realistic look with stylized textures (something like The Walking Dead, from Telltale Games, style).

Technical things:
Poly: 451
Maps: Only diffiuse 1024x1024,

Working with 3dmax and Photoshop.

#Diff:

xLMG7NEs.png U3LdusXs.png QIzD1ifs.png

#Wire:

AZ1v2udl.png

#Player camera distance:

UJS2FTul.png

What can I do to stylize the boat more? Or maybe I should tweak the model first?

Replies

• Heather.Hughes
    With such a large distance, I'd try seeing how the texture looks sized down to 512x512 or lower. You could probably get away with fewer tris as well.

I mean, it looks pretty good as is to me, but if the player isn't getting any closer than what you pictured, I'd try to customize the model and texture to that distance.
  • Kord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! I will try to get rid of detailed things on the boat. I want to use the texture as an atlas because I have much empty space on it (~40%) and put there another boat texture or something else.

I'm considering making a LOD from it and use this (detailed) model as a preview in the in-game shop.