Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM- Que Todo Te Salga Bien - Guategeek

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
guategeek polycounter lvl 9
Hi everyone

Well I have been considering getting in on one of these Polycount competitions for a while now; and decided to bite the bullet on this one, since it will be a great learning experience. Having a deadline and a great community to critique and push me will be wonderful! So time to put the fear aside and forge on!

Came up with a number of concepts but looking through many of the ones already posted I decided to cut out any that were similar, so without further ado my concept will be:

Que Todo Te Salga Bien
In spanish we often joke about "being on the throne" as when your on that pearly white seat in your washroom. So I want to create a toilet throne in a beautiful bathroom, I'm thinking a classical sort of feel with some twists (windows and a private garden).

Think of it, how often do your greatest plans, or most creative ideas not all of a sudden pop into your head when your "sitting on the throne". The name comes from another play on words in spanish, it is usually interpreted as "may you be successful" but literally it means "may everything come out well".

Software:
-Blender
-Zbrush
-Substance Pack
-Unity

Refboard coming soon!

And if anyone is interested in joining me on this venture let me know and we can talk about it.

Replies

• guategeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some refs for mood and the "throne" though I haven't found anything quite in keeping with my idea, to bad my 2D skills are so poor, as coming up with a good concept is going to be tricky. Part of me is already curious about a totally different theme. Any opinions?
  • bcarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bcarter polycounter lvl 5
    If you are worried about your 2D skills, one option might be to do a few quick block outs in Blender and then paint over it in Photoshop or something similar. The block out would give you a good reference on perspective and scale but then you can paint over it multiple times to compare and try out different ideas based on your image references.
  • guategeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks bcarter for that sugestion, I have seen that done but have never tried it myself so will be a good learning process to work through. Hope to post some concepts soon so I can get feedback.
  • guategeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man are my modeling skills rusty, took me forever to block out these simple ideas. Looking forward to how much better I'll get with all the contest work.

So I'm not overly happy with ether idea, the fountain one looks alright but I feel it lacks character. The other one looks horrible for now, going to have to rethink it as the idea of it appeals to me but haven't gotten anything flows. All comments, suggestions, crits, different ideas are welcome.
  • guategeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been trying to mock up a room for the throne, just making some modular pieces to use for the walls and windows and stuff. Not overly pleased with any of it yet. Kind of feel like changing themes for the room and the throne.

Also the Unity 5 beta is confusing, cant figure out how to get my emisive materials to affect the lighting. I chose the beta because I wanted to try out PBR for this completion. But since there are no docs makes it quite hard.

Crits or opinions welcome.
  • guategeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have kept working on this, but I'm no where near as fast as most of you guys. Definitely challenging myself, and enjoying looking at others work.

I had built some modular blocks to test room ideas with, and I used them in Unity to come up with some ideas. When I found one I liked I found a script to export that to an OBJ which I then pulled into blender.

I have been slowly deleting parts of the modular blocks and building modular assets to replace them with. There are still a bunch of areas that don't mesh yet, and even the assets I have made will need a lot more work. I'm enjoying it though, and hope to pick up more the pace so I can have some resemblance to my idea for the deadline.
  • guategeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little bit of progress from last week. Man time is going too fast! If only, if only, ha ha. Enjoying the experience though. - Jeff
  • guategeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is no way I'm going to finish this in time, I haven't even gotten the model compleatly blocked out, and these last few weeks I have had a lot less time. But I'm glad I entered and I have learned a lot. Even without getting to Substance or Unity. I will continue to work on this until I finish it.

One of the things I have realized is that I don't plan things out and draw enough concepts and it hurts me time wise, art wise, and in progressing. So today in the little time I had I worked on concepts for the throne. I have an idea what I want, but I'm not sure how to balance the lower part with the upper part. Here is what I have.

If anyone happens to read this lonely thread and wants to give suggestions that would be great.