Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM – Mountain Pass–Scampbell

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Scampbell polycounter lvl 7
Going for more of a classic throne room with a little twist. i had the idea in my head as soon as i read the post. started blocking out the room last night.

Once i get more references up ill post them as well.

j6n2td.jpg

Software used

3ds Max
Unreal Engine 4
Photoshop
nDo2
Zbrush

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice room! Has several composition shots built in. :)
  • _Kratos_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Looking solid so far!
  • Scampbell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got a little more done on the grey box. opened up behind the throne to a balcony. mostly to let more light flood into the room, threw down a basic landscape from world machine, once i get the final placement of all the windows ill do another pass on the background but for now that will do.

Started concept of throne. going for a throne that looks like it was carved out of a mountain.

Still trying to think of more ways to bring the mountain feeling and looks into the room without literally putting parts of a mountain in the room lol.

About to start some paint overs now see what ideas i come up with, and any ideas or critiques of course are always welcome

2n0o48o.jpg
  • Lilith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ wrote: »
    Looking solid so far!
    That`is the exactly what I was thinking :) Looks solid.

I love that you pay attention to light as well as composition, that is really great way work on your scene.
    I'll keep my eye on this one
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Liking this alot :) going with a domed shaped room myself too. Really looking forward to seeing the mountain aspect being pulled in.
  • Scampbell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the first pass on the paint over. Colors and shape are not final yet, but i managed to bring more aspects from the Mountain into the room, while still mixing it with classic architecture. Im holding off on the throne until i get a better idea if how the rocks and platform for the throne work out together.

As i was painting this my thought was this culture lives in a symbiotic relationship with nature in these High Mountains. As the people walk the moisture from there shoes creates a moss like plant acting as a path for high traffic areas(in Ue4 this effect should be rather easy to create using splines, i haven't worked with spines off of the landscape tool yet, so that will be fun to learn too)

One thing that sticks out to me the most still is the ceiling of the dome, next on the list is to visit that and see what cool ideas i can come up with. :poly141:

143lsas.jpg
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
    Gonna keep my eye on this one :)
  • Aerashi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aerashi polycounter lvl 9
    This is looking cool! A suggestion on the steps though, everything else is nice and chunky, the steps seem very small atm. Maybe make them double height and half as many? Have them chiseled out of the underlying rock maybe?
  • Scampbell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, i will try to keep posting hopefully once a day until i get everything set. and start modeling.

Aerashi- Thanks for pointing that out, i think mostly it is a sense of scale issue. any bigger and they would be out of scale when i put props into the scene but i loved your idea of carving the stairs out of the stones just flipping the idea. thank you, that helped out allot but i did remove a few stairs it didn't buy me much vertical space on each step but it helped, i will just keep my eye on them and try to call them out a little more with lighting.

n4b5z7.jpg
    2u6po9y.jpg
  • Scampbell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the base meshes done and ready for Zbrush pass, tested them in engine made sure every thing still fit together.

Im going to go through other meshes with the same detail treatment before i jump into Zbursh with all of the assets.

and any tips or ideas always appreciated. thank you

11ugrr4.jpg
  • Lawrence Preston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lawrence Preston polycounter lvl 5
    Great idea, very original. I love how you choose to incorporated the mountain into the room; great solutions. I look forward to the progression.
  • Scampbell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i decided to go ahead and try out substance designer and use it in my project as well, after messing with it today i was able to figure out some of it, still have plenty to learn about the program and will be spending the next few days diving into it deeper see what cool stuff i can come up with.

Two materials that i made today and so far i am vary impressed with what substance can do and with such a non destructive workflow. Having allot of fun messing with it so far.

2d2ip9z.jpg
  • Scampbell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sculpted up the Mountain peak. For this i really wanted to go with a nice clean base sculpt and let a detail normal take care of most of the surface noise.

Also added pic of throne room changed the layout of a few of the walls, and reworked the dome with a much bigger oculus, and design in the center for a nice cast shadow.

2i1hyjc.jpg
  • Scampbell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the low poly for the Mountain Peak, i did a bunch of testing with Substance Designer. I think i found a pretty solid work flow that will transfer over easily to all the other rock elements of the room with just a change of a normal map.

All the textures were generated in SD with the exception of the moss.And of course the unique normal map. I do plan on creating the moss in SD That is just a temp test texture for the Z projected mat.

Once i get the materials a little more solid i will post screen grabs of those as well to Show the work flow of mixing the unique unwrap and the tillable textures utilizing the channels of a single texture from SD as mask in UE4.

Also changed up the lighting a little bit, and im sure it will change all throughout the process.

as always any comments or crits always welcome. Thanks guys

2cnk0zo.jpg
  • Soy13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work. following.