Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sorceress illustration - need critique!!

Hey guys!

So I've been working on an illustration for a contest over at DeviantART and just wanted to see if I could get some advice on how to make this thing better. I feel like there's something off in terms of lighting, so any advice on how to improve it would be greatly appreciated!

I've held off on detailing the face and skin until the end... or until I've gotten most of her costume done, anyway. I just feel like when I paint in the face first (like I normally do), I tend to get lazy with the rest of the image! =P Also, the fabric and boots/leg area is clearly not done yet. But if I could get some advice as to how to make what I've already completed better, please do let me know! I'm really trying to push the believability of the lighting, so whatever you think might be off, I'd really like to hear about it!

Thanks!

Giselle

Replies

• MykulJaxin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MykulJaxin polycounter lvl 4
    Hey! I love what you have so far! I know you're aware the legs aren't done yet, just thought I'd make a suggestion...

Her left leg felt totally wrong to me so I flipped her over and drew in her pelvis (see first attachment). I tried another pose based on how you had her positioned and angled (second image).

I also think her left arm seems a bit thin for how thick her torso is.

As far as lighting goes it might be cool to have the skeletons casting a bluish glow onto her, too.

EDIT: Just realized I uploaded a version I hadn't transformed properly. The second image didn't fix the issue well. Sorry, here's the new one.
  • giselleukardi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the feedback! =)

I totally see what you're saying with her arm and her leg area. Definitely something wonky going on in there! I'll definitely try and make those changes.

Thank you for your suggestions, they were really helpful! I'll post with some updates once I progress a bit further with this. =)
  • giselleukardi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okie so tried fixing the anatomy issues and made some progress with her face and hair... any crits are very much welcome!

Thanks!

Giselle
  • Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    Her right knee looks a little awkward. It's lifted, I'm assuming towards the viewer, get her shins look like the leg is stretched down rather then being bent slightly. The result is her knee looks almost like it's broken.

I love those skeletons so much! They gave me chills when I first clicked on the image!
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    I must agree that it looks broken.

Also, I'm getting an impression like upper body's pose and legs pose don't really go together at the moment.
    Upper body seems like it would look better with legs standing firmly on ground and spread apart a bit, rather than walking IMO.