Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM – Sol Threnus – VVCephei

Hello

I'm VVCephei and I'm going to be trying my hand at creating a Throne Room based in space. The name 'Sol Threnus' (Sun Throne) comes from the idea of a lone Monarch protector of a system, as one dies another takes their place. However their presence must never be revealed. I've been playing around with an idea of blending more tranditional marble/stone construction with futurist technology in order to achieve this as it'll need to seem defensible ( challenge hostility), durable (able to withstand aging and decay) and most importantly it must show royalty and express the presence of history.

It'll be based around earth, so there will be some presence of theology and Atlas.

I'll be using:
3D Studio max
Photoshop
Substance
Unreal 4

possibly other tools/whatever requires it.

Replies

• VVCephei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've been playing around with ideas and rough blockouts along with rough sketches, basically just gathering ideas for forms and shapes with some art and astronomy books nearby for inspiration.

Got a rough blockout in the works for what I'd like the layout and scale to be, mostly made with primitives so far. Currently playing around with the idea of having a large glass window ahead of the hall, however this'd mean the king would need to walk around the columns in order to walk up the stairs to sit on the throne, which just seems impractical, So I'm playing around with some practical and functional ideas.

Here are some quick Screenshots of the blockout so far

HjhoI2c.jpg

Xmjt8fS.jpg

k7S0jbM.jpg

And here's a quick scale blockout of the Throne, Right now it's not even a block-out of the mesh, but more of an idea of where it'll be and how large the actual chair will be (not including decorations or surrounding utilities}

HOy5D5o.jpg
  • VVCephei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys

Just been doing an enhanced blockout, fining in some higher poly details and structuring the area and layout, This time you can see a few more details and get a better idea for what I'm aiming for.

RAPP1jI.jpg

also trying to establish a nice looking colour palette, Ofcourse it'll mostly be defined by material and shader colour, as there won't be too many metals in the scene I don't think I need to worry much about metallic colours.

JS9nI97.jpg

Although they are grey and not overly detailed, the grey flat barriers beyond the blue ridges on either side will be a garden or a fountain, I haven't decided yet and it'll be clearer once the picture comes together more.

RdmYZa2.jpg
    Close up of those walls

uyvImmv.jpg

View from the throne, Not much to see from this angle yet, obviously the throne hasn't had anything done with it yet either so I'll be getting on that soon.