Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - Obsidian Throne - Matthew Smith

Matthew Smith
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Matthew Smith polycounter lvl 4
I don't have a fully fledged idea just yet but I do want to work with some new materials that I haven't used before like obsidian, marble, and other stonework. I want to use classical architecture with lots of columns and high walls with Greek mythology motifs.

If I decide to take it a little more stylized then I might go towards a God of War look. Still pondering....

My goals:
Finish a portfolio piece that I'm proud of

Programs:
Maya
Zbrush
Substance Painter
Substance Designer (maybe)
UE4
Photoshop

Replies

• Matthew Smith
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been working on this off an on for the past two weeks but never really nailed down the idea I wanted until recently. My moodboards:

BHvy3hd.jpg

gBdzfLZ.jpg

I've also done my blockout and placed everything into UE4. I'm still pretty new to it so I'm wrestling with lighting and lightmaps. I still feel like it's kinda messy with what I have at the moment. After I do get my lighting down I need to nail down the idea for the throne itself. Most of the geometry you see here is in the blockmesh stage (except the columns) and the focal point needs some definite work. Hopefully I'll have something by the end of the week here. Let me know what you think.

QoFW9ll.jpg
  • Matthew Smith
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on my environment. This week has been a little slow going but I've made SOME progress. I had to rework most of my lightmaps which took a little bit. I also finished the columns and I'm starting to get the look I want for the female sculpture behind the throne itself.

FbZ9n7k.jpg

CXpBt47.jpg

PVxiFqT.jpg

ybFG6U9.jpg