Home Quixel Megascans

ANSWERED: About Gloss Maps!!!

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ToRuKMactO polycounter lvl 6
Hi Guys, I´m trying to improve my maps knowledge and I have seen couple times Gloss Maps, but I really don´t know how to use it correctly or even how to create a nice one.I have painted 2 or 3 times on MudBox, there is a way that I could do it on Photoshop or using another map ???

Some Works I would like to use Gloss Maps

Dark_Sword.png

Machado_Viking.png

Replies

• JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    What renderer are you targeting? Toolbag 2? UE4? 3ds max scanline? Mental ray? All of these use gloss maps somewhat differently.
  • ToRuKMactO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What renderer are you targeting? Toolbag 2? UE4? 3ds max scanline? Mental ray? All of these use gloss maps somewhat differently.

Mental Ray and U4
  • oskarkeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oskarkeo polycounter lvl 10
    Hey ToRuKMactO,

Glossiness is a parameter of the specular part of your shader material.

If you consider that Specular (aka Specular reflection) is a reflection of the environment around your object where black on your spec map indicates 0 reflection and white indicates very reflective then glossiness indicates to the shader how 'broken up' or diffused the reflection is.

Objects like glass and metals will give a very glossy specular reflection where as things like say, bricks or concrete or wood will have a very diffused/spread out/ broken up low glossiness.

Dirt and dust on the surface will get in the way of the reflection and lower the glossiness level. Water and other liquids (which are very glossy) will raise the glossiness level of whatever material the suface is you can see the effects of dirt on glossiness in this image.

before-and-after.jpg

I couldn't find a wet/dry example of an object but these lips with matte and gloss lipstick should show what i'm talking about. note how the matte purple lips are still showing off some specular reflection, but it's blurred within an inch of it's life.

sleek+makeup+matte+me+gloss+me+swatches.png

In terms of it's relation to the spec map, both are black white maps, where white means very reflective (in the spec) and glossy (in the gloss) and black means not very. You'll find though that the relationships between the two maps are different - here's an example of spec and gloss maps.

material_types.jpg

note how the wall has a fairly high amount of specular, but isn't very glossy, where as the windows arent flooded in spec, but do have a very high amount of gloss.

As JedTheKrampus rightly points out, different renderers interpret the levels of your maps in different ways so you'll have to use your eyes to ultimately finesse the shader to look right. Some other renderers (SolidAngle's Arnold) don't have a parameter named gloss, instead having a "Roughness Parameter" which, when you think about it is the same thing (both go from rough to glossy).

I saw a quick vid on from Gleb Alexander on lesterbanks.com the other day which might prove useful. It's written for blender but the concept holds up.

http://lesterbanks.com/2015/01/ways-abuse-material-roughness-blender/

Hope either this is helpful, or someone corrects my lies so I can get a better handle on it myself, I'm teaching myself shaders at the mo, so do not claim to be an expert on this.

Oskar
  • VictoRubi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @oskarkeo

Thanks very much for this clean explanation, since months ago i was searching information about the gloss map and trying understand why this is useful, and how it works and you with you posted managed to explain what I didn't quite understood.

Subscribed in this thread only because of your post.

Again, a huge thanks
  • oskarkeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No probs mate, happy to be of help

Oskar
  • PlateCaptain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

On a related note, is there any particular renderer that's best if you're going to be doing your final render in Blender's Cycles engine? I've seen some discussion on that, but I don't remember if anyone reached a consensus.
  • oskarkeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    might want to rephrase that - blender's cycles would probably be the best renderer if you're doing your final render with blender's cycles.

Do you mean the best realtime engine to preview in?
  • Ingemar Lundgren
    ToRuKMactO , DDO generates a very nice gloss map for you. The whole point of DDO is map generation. Why not use that? Just click the exporter when you done texturing in DDO and it generates all the maps you need. By default , Albedo, Specular, Gloss, Normal and Bump. You can tell DDO to generate more maps but those are the common ones for PBR renders.

In some PBR renders like Octane render the glossy goes in to the roughness node and also needs to be inverted.
  • PlateCaptain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oskarkeo wrote: »
    might want to rephrase that - blender's cycles would probably be the best renderer if you're doing your final render with blender's cycles.

Do you mean the best realtime engine to preview in?

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. In DDO, when you're setting up a project, there's options for which renderer you plan on using (I don't have it in front of me, so this is from memory. Apologies for any inaccuracies). Options include Toolbag 2, UE4, 3ds Max, Mental ray, etc.

As far as I remember, there's nothing relating to Blender or Cycles at all in there, so I'm wondering if any particular option would work better/best in Cycles.

Or am I completely misunderstanding the purpose of that option?
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oskarkeo - wow that is a very good explanation, thanks a bunch for taking time to write that!

Ingemar Lundegren - You are absolutely correct, the purpose of DDO is map generation and the fact that you can pick and choose which maps you want for your textures, thereby saving a lot of time!
  • Ingemar Lundgren
    PlateCaptain, try one of the generic PBR presets. Should work pretty well. Have not used Cycles for a long time but its pretty similar to Octane and Octane works quite well with any on the PBR ones except you have to invert the glossy map and plug it in to the roughness node. If i remember correctly Cycles also calls glossy roughness?
  • PlateCaptain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Ingemar. That's what I've been using; just wanted to make sure that was the best option.

I had been inverting the glossy maps, but only just recently saw that it should be going straight into the roughness inputs. And you're right, they are labeled as Roughness in Cycles.
  • Ingemar Lundgren
    You will have to tweak the maps to your liking of course. It won't look like in 3DO by just plugging in the maps at least not in Octane and probably not in Cycles as there is no really good preset (yet?). You can tweak the maps in photoshop or do it in cycles with a levels/brightness adjustment node.

One way to get the feel for what the map does is to plug the glossy or specularity in to the Albedo (diffuse) in cycles. Change the gamma or brightness and see the effect on your 3D model. Then plug it back to the correct node. Is a darker tone making it more specular/shiny? If you want more specular then plug in an adjustment node and make it darker. Just an example, in reality darker might make it less specula in Cycles, i don't know but you get the idea.

The values for specularity and roughness is the same as color information. Black could be 1.0 and white 0.0 for example. Medium gray being 0.5. The maps is just a more accurate way of doing it AND can effect different areas of your UV map. If you just set a value the whole model will be affected the same way. DDO creates very detailed maps giving incredible realism. If you add dirt and grime to a texture both specular and glossy (roughness) maps will be affected very accurately and also the normal map. Add a dirt smart material and watch the result on the spec and glossy maps for example.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For Cycles, you should use a specular map and a roughness map. To get the flats you need, you can use this calibration script I've put together for my own work:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/khuwoqc6zxqqtm7/Cycles.jsx?dl=0

Set up your material like this for best results. This does energy conservation on the diffuse and properly feeds in the roughness map. If you want to use the Beckmann specular BRDF you'll need to remove the GGX roughness adjustment from the script, but why would you ever use anything that's not GGX?

Node setup:

CWj6cy4.png

You do have to square the roughness to get the right result with Cycles, as Cycles exposes the raw BRDF parameters without trying to make the roughness perceptually linear. I don't know how to bake this into the input map with the calibration script, but doing it in the shader definitely doesn't break the bank.

You can also hook up Roughness to diffuse roughness if that's what you like. It's probably a little more realistic that way, but the difference is quite small.

You might be able to speed up convergence a little with light paths, too. I'll definitely test this before I finalize the written Cycles rendering tutorial that I've been working on.
  • Ingemar Lundgren
    And i would like to add that DDO relies on GOOD maps. If you put in crap normal and AO maps with overlapping UV´s the results will be absolutely crap. You really need to feed it good maps. Make a model with very little fine details in the normal map and DDO can´t figure out where to place that edge wear and grime you want. It needs information to work. Im quite a new user but that is at least what i have found so far. Crap in - Crap out.
  • ToRuKMactO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ToRuKMactO , DDO generates a very nice gloss map for you. The whole point of DDO is map generation. Why not use that? Just click the exporter when you done texturing in DDO and it generates all the maps you need. By default , Albedo, Specular, Gloss, Normal and Bump. You can tell DDO to generate more maps but those are the common ones for PBR renders.

In some PBR renders like Octane render the glossy goes in to the roughness node and also needs to be inverted.

I had some problems in the past with DDO, but I will review it
  • ToRuKMactO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oskarkeo wrote: »
    Hey ToRuKMactO,

Glossiness is a parameter of the specular part of your shader material.

If you consider that Specular (aka Specular reflection) is a reflection of the environment around your object where black on your spec map indicates 0 reflection and white indicates very reflective then glossiness indicates to the shader how 'broken up' or diffused the reflection is.

Objects like glass and metals will give a very glossy specular reflection where as things like say, bricks or concrete or wood will have a very diffused/spread out/ broken up low glossiness.

Dirt and dust on the surface will get in the way of the reflection and lower the glossiness level. Water and other liquids (which are very glossy) will raise the glossiness level of whatever material the suface is you can see the effects of dirt on glossiness in this image.

before-and-after.jpg

I couldn't find a wet/dry example of an object but these lips with matte and gloss lipstick should show what i'm talking about. note how the matte purple lips are still showing off some specular reflection, but it's blurred within an inch of it's life.

sleek+makeup+matte+me+gloss+me+swatches.png

In terms of it's relation to the spec map, both are black white maps, where white means very reflective (in the spec) and glossy (in the gloss) and black means not very. You'll find though that the relationships between the two maps are different - here's an example of spec and gloss maps.

material_types.jpg

note how the wall has a fairly high amount of specular, but isn't very glossy, where as the windows arent flooded in spec, but do have a very high amount of gloss.

As JedTheKrampus rightly points out, different renderers interpret the levels of your maps in different ways so you'll have to use your eyes to ultimately finesse the shader to look right. Some other renderers (SolidAngle's Arnold) don't have a parameter named gloss, instead having a "Roughness Parameter" which, when you think about it is the same thing (both go from rough to glossy).

I saw a quick vid on from Gleb Alexander on lesterbanks.com the other day which might prove useful. It's written for blender but the concept holds up.

http://lesterbanks.com/2015/01/ways-abuse-material-roughness-blender/

Hope either this is helpful, or someone corrects my lies so I can get a better handle on it myself, I'm teaching myself shaders at the mo, so do not claim to be an expert on this.

Oskar

I read about it, a little after making my post and you really added the explanation, Thank you !!! Despite the fact generate a map by Quixel through another map would be possible for me to get a map Gloss (at least initial? ?? as the specular of a normal map of the channel and with colors, it seems that some colorful map mode are more realistic than black & white maps
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Of course, specular maps should only be colored if you're representing a metallic material with them, and there are only a few metals that aren't grayscale. Semiconductors and dielectrics both are grey in the specular map, and dielectrics are usually around 51 sRGB. Gloss maps are of course always grayscale, because they represent a scalar value where black is completely rough and white is completely glossy. There's really no way for the individual color channels to mean anything in that context.

If you want to know in detail what each map does, these tutorials are a must read:

PBR Theory, by Jeff Russell

PBR in Practice, by Joe Wilson
  • oskarkeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oskarkeo - wow that is a very good explanation, thanks a bunch for taking time to write that!

Thanks Eric, probably worth pointing out that post would never have been written had I not decided to take the plunge and delve in to texture painting.
    And that plunge would never have happened if Quixel hadn't been so generous with Suite licenses for polycount competitions last year i.e. petrol/blood. So thanks a bunch for taking the time to create the Suite and share it with the community. I'm very glad it's been useful to folks in this forum.

Oskar
  • PlateCaptain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll definitely test this before I finalize the written Cycles rendering tutorial that I've been working on.

Awesome, looking forward to that.