Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - The King's Shed - Awoken

Latest update:

WIP_03_UpdatedFurther_zpsqray13s7.jpg

Hello all, thanks for visiting!

Having been away from digital art for over a year, I'm using this fantastic challenge as motivation to get myself back into the game and learn/re-learn software. I hope I will have time to finish this, an ambitious task since my day job has a deadline looming (for the exact same date!) but I really want to give this a good go.

I want to try something different so I would like to create a child's fantasy 'throne room' set in their parents shed/garage. The environment will be made up of discarded items from the house and garden. I would like to use a stylized art style with exaggerated shapes and a colourful pallet.

Software I will be using:

Modo - Base mesh, UV mapping, baking
ZBrush - Sculpting, (possibly texturing)
Photoshop - Masking for ZBrush, (possibly texturing)
Unreal Engine 4 - Scene, rendering

And hopefully (if time allows it):

Substance Painter - Texturing / materials

Good luck to everyone!

Replies

• Awoken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought I would start by sharing a reference sheet for the overall scene. As you can see, Pixar are the main influence here, I really love the 'chunky' and colourful style of their environment art.

Ref_zps8b41c6da.jpg

The reference sheet above gives more of an overview of the scene, showing how the layout, lighting and asset styles will (hopefully!) appear. I will be creating smaller reference sheets for each of the major assets in the scene before creating them.

Next on the list is to get one of the more tedious tasks out of the way and sort out scale/units/settings between Modo and Unreal Engine 4. I haven't managed to find one source to help set both software packages up together yet. Once I have everything working I will share the settings here, hopefully it will help someone else out there!
  • Awoken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sadly, as predicted, I haven't had much of a chance to work on this project. I am working on it when I can but I doubt I will be able to finish before the deadline. The project is certainly helping me get back into my previous software and is great for learning Unreal 4, regardless of the competition I aim to finish this project.

Here are some work in progress shots I have taken over the last few days, thankfully I started with whitebox assets as I have changed the layout of the room and assets multiple times:

WIP_01_RoomLayout_zpslhq2gyyp.jpg
    This image shows the initial room shape and layout I had in mind

WIP_02_UpdatedLayout_zpsvipud2ls.jpg
    I had decided to reshape the room and reposition the windows

WIP_03_UpdatedFurther_zpsqray13s7.jpg
    And this is the current layout and what I feel will be final

All assets included are simple whitebox at the moment, I also haven't added any whitebox assets for the small clutter as this would take too much time for little gain.Hopefully tomorrow I'll share some of the assets I have started working on in Modo! Thanks for dropping by, any crits are more than welcome!
  • Awoken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another small WIP, this time one of the larger assets in the scene, the bookcase. Currently this isn't in the main shot but will more than likely be in the second one.

Due to this not being for a game, I have decided to model and texture the whole asset. I have also decided not to go for overlapping UV's in this scene, I would like to give each asset a unique texture and sculpt.

Bookcase_WIP_zpsawytfabk.jpg