Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM – Throne of the Fallen – StevenEgan

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
StevenEgan polycounter lvl 9
**EDIT** A change in direction.

Throne description:

A large column of stone or marble flanked with staircases leading up and around the column. Two exceptionally large figures stand, sculpted into the column, each side; as though they were supporting the structure. The column isn't whole but contains a large space with weeping stairs leading to the throne itself. The column is carved out in great swaths down the front and the back. A powerful, but natural, light pours in from the back of the structure, and through it; Silhouetting the throne. The column isn't just an ornate display of the emperor's power, but a key to his powerful reign, and the dominance of his empire.

Encased in the top of the column is a large (perhaps marble) sphere - A globe. The globe is covered in ornate brass fittings and filigrees clearly designating land masses and longitude and latitude markings. From his throne below the emperor can, with the aid of his advisors, command his forces and finances around his empire. Like a tactical map he commands his armies, his trade ships, his colonists and track the movements of his would-be/could-be enemies/allies.

The column, the central command tower of this great empire is large, very large. And is a building within itself, housing his vast cabinet of trusted advisors and servants. Along the inside of these large flanking structures and balconies, accessed from within; From which his advisors, with their large sticks, can advise and maneuver their plans along the surface of the globe. Large pulley/lever structures lay in the back leading to large brass gearing mounted around the housing of the globe; So that the globe can be rotated.

That's about the best I can do to describe it. I will post my first concepts once I've finished them.

Software:
Maya
Zbrush
Photoshop
Xnormal
Marmoset
Substance painter - Downloaded the trial awhile ago, but haven't had chance to learn it yet. So, this should be fun. I'll try to incorporate it into the workflow.