Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cyberpunk bonobo project dump

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
jjdilaa polycounter lvl 8
I'm working on a project at the moment, I thought I would post my progress here so I could get some feedback as I go.

Several hundred years in the future animal rights activists and psychologists successfully manage to convince the government to give great apes equal rights with humans. The government being out of touch and generally tactless takes the notion too far, going as far as giving bonobos housing and social benefits including welfare as opposed to just giving them space in the forests and leaving them alone. The result after a decade or so is a highly unstable social underclass of bonobos who are unable to function in human society, politics and economics.

D8Z8649.png
x3q1jMu.png

The introduction of bonobo apes as a new underclass in certain human societies leads to a dramatic shift in the social hierarchy. Bonobos solidify their place in the bottom of this new hierarchy when they are unable to deal with the open floodgate of human pleasures and vices that suddenly become available to them; with human money they can now overindulge in food, alcohol and narcotics.

This failure to adapt causes Bonobo society in itself to divide. Being socially matriarchal and sexually driven in nature, the females maintain a position of power and are able to indulge freely in pleasures like food and sex while the males fall to the vices of the more available narcotics and alcohol.

The more powerful females procure harems of desired males and dictate the social standing of those they associate with. Those males that fail to secure a place in a harem live a life of crime, living day by day to survive and feed their vices, fighting addiction, disease and each other.

2wvpLBW.jpg
ZBd1DzQ.jpg

As a side effect of drug use and other pollutants of the human lifestyle the second generation of integrated bonobos develop yellow mutations of the skin.
They adorn second hand, cheap human clothing adapted haphazardly to fit their unique form.

The year is 2168 and human style has taken a turn to cheaper more artificial materials. As fashion is cyclical, classic styles still persist but now aged by advancements in textile technology.

Female bonobos afford the luxuries of relatively elegant and empoweringclothing for themselves and their families, but the independent males make do with whatever they can get their hands on, and don’t change often.

I feedback and criticism is very much appreciated, I will continue to post updates as they come.

Replies

• jjdilaa
    Offline / Send Message
    And while I'm at it, how do I embed images? the attachments don't seem to be working.

EDIT: Okay I got it.
  • jjdilaa
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a bit more detailing on the clothing, particularly the jacket.
    7pJBHB4.png
    I'm thinking of just adding some pockets but I think it needs more refinement because I call it done, thoughts?

The plan is to then take this to low poly and add textures.
  • jjdilaa
    Offline / Send Message
    more colours!

I need to add pockets to the jacket still and add some wear effects too. I may redo the sandals too, the idea was that they were going to be like re-purposed human sandals that would be too long and would be fastened to the feet using duct tape and rope, but it didn't really work out that well. I may redo them, keeping the duct tape but maybe make them out of cardboard instead of a human flip-flop, it will feel more unified with the rest of the design and colours.

siekn9A.png
  • jjdilaa
  • jjdilaa
    Offline / Send Message
    Update, not much to say really but I think I will detail the feet and call it finished for now, then start working on retopology.
    Anyone have any advice for retopology? I was just going to use the zremesher and then fix things in Maya, will that be fine? I'm aiming for a pretty high polycount, I believe 50k is acceptable in the current gen am I right? My original goal was 15k though so I may go with that, but I think I can get away with 50k for this project.

nqCQeUq.jpg
  • jjdilaa
    Offline / Send Message
    I never updated when it was finished so just for the sake of completion and in case anyone is interested here it is! It hasn't changed a whole lot since the last progress but I refined things and even retopologized with PBR textures.
    [SKETCHFAB]9a5e96b575fb4f27937c63b59f03ba3c[/SKETCHFAB]
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbQShzwEELI[/ame]