Home General Discussion

Is my PC good for 3D?

Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz 36 °C
Wolfdale 45nm Technology
RAM
6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard
ECS P43T-A2 (CPU 1) 30 °C
Graphics
DELL E176FP (1280x1024@60Hz)
SyncMaster (1920x1080@60Hz)
1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Undefined) 52 °C
Storage
465GB SAMSUNG HD502IJ ATA Device (SATA) 33 °C
465GB Western Digital WD My Passport 0740 USB Device (USB (SATA)) 35 °C
Optical Drives
DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223F ATA Device
WD Virtual CD 0740 USB Device
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What sort of 3d exactly? Your computer should be fine for minimally to moderately complex 3d work. However, I don't think your computer will work very well if you want to work on zbrush sculpts with tens of millions of polys, or 8k textures or anything like that.

If you want to do high end stuff, a computer with a better CPU and more ram would be helpful. You can easily add more ram, but your motherboard is too old to support any current generation CPUs, and it isn't worth upgrading your CPU without swapping the mobo (you'll pay too much for too little of an improvement). Its not worth buying more ram if you're going to swap mobo/cpu, as you'll likely need new ram as well.

A better video card would help too but thats less of a concern than the CPU/RAM.
  • Spiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spiffy polycounter lvl 12
    I had a similar build a few years back and it was fine

Nothing crazy, I could do some head sculpts in ZBrush and anything low poly was no problem.
    Only when you get to the really high poly stuff like full high poly characters would my RAM max out and my frames start dropping.

Don't let your hardware hold you back, because if you're just beginning it probably won't.
  • Boban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, i want to use Zbrush and Maya too for high poly stuff, characters etc. Only modeling and sculpting or maybe animation
  • Spiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spiffy polycounter lvl 12
    I'm not sure how much 3D you've done or what programs you've used but if you're really new to 3D and just want to test your system without spilling cash then try Blender and Sculptris.

Sculptris is not ZBrush by any means but it's free and if you sculpt with it for a little while you'll get an idea of what your computer can handle

For Polygonal download Blender or even better a student version of Maya (I'm not sure if they still do that though) and do the same, learn how to use it and test your hardware limits.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Fine for 3d, yes. Good enough to seriously start learning 3d? Yes. Great at everything? No. CPU is very weak, anything cpu heavy like baking, rendering, or processor heavy tools in 3d applications are really going to be slow. Might be able to get a cheap used core 2 quad, but I wouldn't speed more than $60 trying to improve that. CPU might be too weak for next gen game engines like UE4 and CryEngine. They might work, but you'll really have to turn down the settings, and you might miss out on some features. Ram and gpu are fine, but ram might be an issue when heavy multitasking. If you do want to upgrade, a $400 build while reusing the gpu, OS, storage, dvd drive, and case (and possibly the PSU), would really be a great upgrade and not kill your wallet or hold you back.
  • Boban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just want to learn modeling and sculpting at some level that i can try to get a internship where i live. I Know for that my pc is so damn slow and weak. But how far i can go do with sculpting? or high poly modeling
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop sublime tool
    it's enough for anything including Zbrush . We all worked on such pc 4-5 years ago. With a current one you would get a 15-20% real time performance increase with cheap videocard and 80% increase in rendering with i7.

it's not enough when you are working competitively when your work speed, not your pc is actually important.