Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Potion Bottle Suggestions

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Psyber polycounter lvl 8
27942b1d122ebc51f4786feb403aa201.jpg

Made this potion bottle the other day and I'm having some issues with the look of the rendering. On the far left is render from keyshot which obviously looks amazing. The hi-res version even has some nice caustics.

The rest of the renders are done in Marmoset 2. What I would like to know is which one should I use in my portfolio? My personal favorite is (A) because of the cool secondary reflection of Newton Rings. The middle 2 are probably the closest to an in game render. The difference is that potion (D) has a faked liquid in the albedo map. The last 2 have a copy of the bottle mesh with a transparent material set to additive on top. I think this gives it a much better look. Ideally, Marmoset would deal with refraction properly, but currently it can't .

Ultimately, what I would really like to see is the liquid inside of the bottle, but I have no idea how you would achieve that kind of result without faking it. Is there a way to do this for an in-game model. Can one use a light grey opacity? Please help!

Replies

• TylerSorg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TylerSorg polycounter lvl 4
    Nice have you tried to double the crystal in marmoset and do an add in the transparencies? Shit you could probably do somethign like that on the glass too... just don't tell anyone the poly count of the extra stuff if you are worried about showing it off for game oriented stuff. Check out that glass of milk tutorial on the marmoset site, it might give you more insight into it.