Home General Discussion

Online 3d contests?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys,I wanted to start again with 3d (since I dropped almost 1 year ago) and also challenge myself with something to learn and improve,so I was interested in joining some Environment creation Contest online, and if I remember correctly you guys did this here on polycount,but...looking in the contest area,apparently those contest are not running anymore... :(

So any chance I'm missing those? There is any such contest running online? Also,any chance that there is a topic listing all the contest currently running? :)

Replies

• beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    You could give the Monthly Community Noob Challenge a try.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144916
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx beefaroni,that's exactly what I needed to get back in! :)

Though in the first post I can't find the deadline,since it's monthly,this should end the January 26th ?
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    The thread started Dec 01 so I assume they're going to have another made for this month if it doesn't exist already. That was just the most recent one I could find.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see. Just checked,apparently there is not a new January challenge going... :(
    Maybe was because of all the recent holidays so maybe the January challenge is coming soon,anyway there is any way to receive a notification when it starts,or a thread here on polycount that keep track of all this events? :poly122:
    Because I really don't want to miss it :poly122:
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I only take care of the character one. But they said envo's taking a short break. :( And will be back in February.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    You can find some challenges on CGtrader as well.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PyrZern:just checked on the Character challenge,is interesting and also challenging for me so I could try that too,though the first topic didn't gives much infos about the goal...we have to do a character inspired to the image in the first concept(so maybe a male version of it would be ok too)? Or we have to do that same character?

@Dataday: thx,didn't know that link,though I want to stay here on polycount,since I like the community and atmosphere better :P
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    @Dataday: thx,didn't know that link,though I want to stay here on polycount,since I like the community and atmosphere better :P

The point is you can post your work here or anywhere else, but submit the final versions on that site. Just options... there are lots of contests if you know where to look, often time with some nice prizes.

If its just for the challenge of it though, I'm sure here and other cg centric forums are fine.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday wrote: »
    The point is you can post your work here or anywhere else, but submit the final versions on that site. Just options... there are lots of contests if you know where to look, often time with some nice prizes.

If its just for the challenge of it though, I'm sure here and other cg centric forums are fine.

Totally for the challenge/learning side of it :) Prizes makes more pressure on me because I'll end up aming on that,and I'm not ready for it :poly136:
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PyrZern:just checked on the Character challenge,is interesting and also challenging for me so I could try that too,though the first topic didn't gives much infos about the goal...we have to do a character inspired to the image in the first concept(so maybe a male version of it would be ok too)? Or we have to do that same character?

That's kinda up to you :) For character challenge, you can follow the concept 100%. You can take a spin on it. You can play around with it. No problem.

I think it's safe to say ppl here will still give you feedback if you post your WIP entry for challenge-of-other-places thread here in 3D Showcase n Critique. People do it all the time. (like GW2 art test, and stuff)
  • Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    You can always try to take part in GnomonWorkshop monthy challenge. You can win tutorials from their website and that might come in handy :)

http://forums.thegnomonworkshop.com/
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub wrote: »
    You can always try to take part in GnomonWorkshop monthy challenge. You can win tutorials from their website and that might come in handy :)

http://forums.thegnomonworkshop.com/

Didn't know about that,lot of options indeed! thanks :):thumbup:

Also say guys,do you do any 2D challenges around here? Maybe I aim too high and is just a dream,but I also wanted to learn to draw properly to make sketches of the stuff I go to model... :poly124:
    So this days I was kind of drawing,stuff like this (right side is the reference,though that is more of a Value training and also not finished), I know of the minicontest at conceptart.org but compared to those guys I'm way out of their league, so in order to not waste anyone time I was looking for more of like... a "noob" section/competition for this :poly136:
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Facebook Brainstorm group does their own things in both 2d and 3d. I think currently they have people redesign Darth Vader and/or Storm Trooper. Seems like fun though. I see lots of cool stuff there so far.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh damn,I actually had deleted my facebook account cause I spent too much time with it... :poly141: