Home Technical Talk

3ds max expert, HELP !!! Please

dyo_ooo
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
dyo_ooo polycounter lvl 9
Hello Guys !!!

I read a lot this forum and rarely post, but today I really have a problem that I can't find the solution, as there is a lot of talent here I really hope we will find a solution.

So here my problem, I use 3ds max 2014 and since few time now, always I want to merge/import an obj/fbx, 3ds max want to create a new scene, he ask me if I want to save or not as usual and is great, but I don't understand why is doing that.
So I need to save each time in .3ds and then use merge/import for merging all my obj/fbx.

And I get the same problem with "goz" for each subtool I import 3ds max, create me a new scene.

So I don't understand what happening, is there any option to change that, it's a bug, I think but I am not sure I encounter this problem since the SP3/last Update.

So if anybody have an idea I will be grateful

And a last one, someone know how to do in 3ds max if I want that statistic show up automatically for each new project, there is a way to configure that ?
I know the shortcut "7" just I need to configure every time to get the triangle count.

Thanks a lot

Fabien

Replies

• monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I don't understand your first issue. Merge and import are two different commands. I also don't recommend using the .3ds format for any reason. Are you saying that every time you use the import command all the other objects in your scene are removed? Maybe a screenshot or youtube video could help explain.

On the second issue. Start 3ds Max. Change the settings that you want for the statistics and any other settings like grid, gamma... whatever. Then save the file as maxstart.max in your Scenes folder. 3ds Max will auto load this file on startup.
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    I get that every time he tries to import or merge a file, max creates a new scene. Never encountered that. Some preference somewhere ? A startup script with callbacks ?
  • dyo_ooo
    Offline / Send Message
    @Monster
    Thanks a lot, I didn't know that for the second issue is very hopeful.

Actually my first issue is as Noors understood.

Every time that I import an .obj even when I use goz (automatic export from zbrush to max in .obj (I suppose).
    Each new obj I import->import or import->merge doesn't mind, 3ds max close the current scene I am working on, ask me if I want to save or not as usual that point it's ok, but I don't understand why and how I could change that is very disappointed.
    For .3ds sorry is me I said a mistake is .max

For example when I import->merge a .max in my scene that work very well. I get that only for obj and fbx.

Anyway thanks for your answer guys
    Wait and see ^^
  • Mark Dygert
    Oh so it's when you use GOz? That makes sense it's an automated set of commands and one of those commands is probably "I have no idea what this scene is, so close it, open a new scene and import the obj".

GOz isn't really a bridge that you can cross back and forth and both max and zbrush know what's going on in the other program. They don't have a clue what the other one is doing and they don't really talk that well.

GOz is more like chartering a boat to take you across the river so you don't have to swim back and forth. The process can be done manually but its a lot more work.

Also the captain of the GOz boat, is a little stupid and pig headed he only works how he wants to work and will screw up from time. He'll probably get you across the river but you might be miles from where you actually wanted to be, heh.

Fortunately GOz is fairly predictable in it's failure if you use it enough and you learn when to say "screw you captain Goz, I'm swimming across". Which is most of the time, heh.
  • dyo_ooo
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Mark

I understand what you say, and I agree with that. I know that goz is not fully fonctional, sometime is not working very well, but is not my first time I work with max and zbrush and normally I arrive to make the bridge between max->zbrush and zbrush->max very easely without have a new scene, normally if you don't change the name during this process you could edit one mesh very easily in both application.

And still I get that problem with only max when I import an obj.

Anyway maybe I will try to re-install max and see what happen.
    Thanks a lot
  • Mark Dygert
    Oh regular obj's too, sorry for not picking up on that earlier. It looks like you mentioned that but I must have missed it.

Then it looks like it's the OBJ Import Option? Make sure "Reset Scene" is not checked.

ImportOBJ.JPG

To access that option, Import a .obj (any obj) and uncheck that box. When you click import it will save those settings into max and it shouldn't bother you anymore. Unless you check it on again, or reinstall max, or GOz checks it on for you, which would be pure evil, heh.
  • dyo_ooo
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Mark
    Actually is it. I don't know how I missed that.
    I look everywhere but not here.

Thanks a lot !!!
  • goldenphoenix
    Offline / Send Message
    goldenphoenix polycounter lvl 2
    Hi Mark!
    I can't thank you enough. I had been struggling to sort this since a whole day! :)
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Thanks Mark was having the same problem after a new install.