Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Downed Bomber Environment

Hey, this is my first post here. I have been lurking around for ages and figured I should actually become part of this awesome community!

So I am working on an environment in Unreal Engine and would love some crit its still very early but I want to make this scene an amazing portfolio piece.

So less talking more pictures!

Rocks_Renders_zps5adbe42c.jpg~original

StrutGrouped_zps1e023284.jpg~original

Wing_Render2_zpsf461d059.jpg~original

Body_ScreenshotWIP2_Renders_zps2b76aed3.jpg~original

Techbreakdown_zps16219321.jpg~original

Plane_zps7f45869b.jpg~original

So these are some of the first sculpts I did, I then retopologized all the assets I created and Unwrapped them. Textured them using a PBR workflow and started to create a scene in Unreal 4

HighresScreenshot00000_zps36e8602c.png~original

HighresScreenshot00002_zps7867a310.png~original
HighresScreenshot00001_zpsefb14f5f.png~original
HighresScreenshot00005_zps5d814300.png~original

HighresScreenshot00004_zps6a32b312.png~original

HighresScreenshot00003_zps5133b9fc.png~original

So that’s the progress so far, as you can see still more work to be done Ill keep posting updates as I progress.

Any Critique would be awesome.

Thanks for checking out my thread,
JohnHandyArt

Replies

• photonarbiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    photonarbiter polycounter lvl 4
    I think the bombers body needs a lot more work, right now to me it looks like its a building created at a theme park that was designed to vaguely look like a plane, versus a plane that actually crashed. The windows supports are too thick and overall make it look like a block. It should be more smoothed out http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/6/7/1/1371176.jpg Try using references of the B-29 Superfortress I think that might be the kind of bomber you're looking for. Hope that helps.
  • JohnHandyArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the bombers body needs a lot more work, right now to me it looks like its a building created at a theme park that was designed to vaguely look like a plane, versus a plane that actually crashed. The windows supports are too thick and overall make it look like a block. It should be more smoothed out http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/6/7/1/1371176.jpg Try using references of the B-29 Superfortress I think that might be the kind of bomber you're looking for. Hope that helps.

Hey thanks for the reply, I should of put a picture of the reference I was using sorry.
    I started this environment for a University assignment, I was restricted in making something from either Warhammer or Star Wars. So I very loosely picked Warhammer.

I used this concept, so the plane is based of this.

wh40k_online_concept.jpg

But I agree the plane still needs a lot of work.

I'm currently working on:
    Adding more features to the plane (pipes, tubing, the cockpit, weapons possibly)
    Adding more foliage and rocks to fill the scene
    Possibly redoing the terrain
    and re-working the material shaders for the ground to get some awesome blending.