Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chantel-sky's Character Artdump

Chantel-sky
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Chantel-sky polycounter lvl 3
Edit : Hello Polycounters!
I thought I needed to bring this to the top so people don't get confused by the stylized sculpts (Satsuki Kiryuin and Motoko Kusanagi)

As I've recently made the decision of creating 3D characters that are more realistic, like what you see in Dragon Age: Inquisition, Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 4 etc.

So I will be devoting my time to learning that style and keeping my progress and anything I learn on the way in this thread as I don't want to spam the forums too much :)

I weclome any constructive criticism and feedback along the way!

My first character that I will take to completion will be Anna by Clonerh (image located below) (http://clonerh.deviantart.com/) The design is simple but it will also give me a chance to practice with MarvelousDesigner and hard surface sculpting (plus hard surface texturing in Quixel just looks beautiful).
I will be making small changes such as making her a little bit older, giving her robot hands some damage and overall her outfit with some wear and tear.

Replies

• Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have decided to do is Satsuki Kiryuin from the anime Kill La Kill, I wanted to start with something that would be possible at my skill level and hopefully progress from there.

I do struggle with proportions and I hope to improve that.

• Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is Satsuki Composited.
    I decided not to add the shoulders, as I couldn't get it looking right.

I also did a quick sculpt of Motoko Kusanagi from the anime Ghost in the shell.

comp_by_chantel_sky-d8dp0v5png

If you didn't read the first post, please read this to avoid confusion!

I've recently made the decision of creating 3D characters that are more realistic, like what you see in Dragon Age: Inquisition, Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 4 etc.

So I will be devoting my time to learning that style and keeping my progress and anything I learn on the way in this thread as I don't want to spam the forums too much

My first character that I will take to completion will be Anna by Clonerh (http://clonerh.deviantart.com/) The design is simple but it will also give me a chance to practice with MarvelousDesigner and hard surface sculpting (plus hard surface texturing in Quixel just looks beautiful).
    I will be making small changes such as making her a little bit older, giving her robot hands some damage and overall her outfit with some wear and tear.

anna_by_clonerh-d7i3hchjpg

Thanks for looking / reading
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Watch those facial proportions. She doesn't have the typical anime beauty features and proportions of a heroine archetype.
  • Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JadeEyePanda Hmm, Not sure if you're talking about the concept or Motoko.

With Motoko I wasn't aiming for a full on anime style as I'm fairly new to sculpting faces and wanted to keep her semi realistic looking.

But if you're talking about the concept I'm planning to go realistic and using Kiko Mizuhara as my reference which I think she's perfect for.

Edit : Added a Reference Board.

208d6f8f3e5c45f1c69171ca39b4ccc4.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    from your other thread
    @Jfitch I've done plenty of anatomy studies and practiced faces so I'm all good there :)

no you are not

sorry to be so blunt, but there are plenty obvious proportional and form mistakes going on here.

-edit i should read more than the first few posts and then look at the images, well still applies

I also wonder, considering you said you want to do realistic characters, for assassins creed, uncharted and whatnot. if going this semi realistic road on purpose now, will bring you much closer to your goal.
    There is nothing wrong with that direction, our very own Haz is very sucsessful in that area, but right now you are still leagues away from his anatomical knowledge to apply it to your own stylized creations.
    So maybe some more work on your foundation on realism might not hurt at all.

looking forward to your new approach
  • Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    from your other thread

no you are not

sorry to be so blunt, but there are plenty obvious proportional and form mistakes going on here.

-edit i should read more than the first few posts and then look at the images, well still applies

I also wonder, considering you said you want to do realistic characters, for assassins creed, uncharted and whatnot. if going this semi realistic road on purpose now, will bring you much closer to your goal.
    There is nothing wrong with that direction, our very own Haz is very sucsessful in that area, but right now you are still leagues away from his anatomical knowledge to apply it to your own stylized creations.
    So maybe some more work on your foundation on realism might not hurt at all.

looking forward to your new approach

Okay. When I said I'm all good there I wasn't claiming I was pro or even close to it and I know there are still things I need to improve on.

My earlier sculpts were just fan art pieces of anime I liked with a semi-realistic style which was just for fun and practice.. and that was before I made the decision that I wanted to create characters that were realistic.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    the thing is that even the semi realistic characters need a solid anatomical foundation, even completely stylized pieces do.
    and thats where they are lacking the most. the way the skull is constructed, the way way way too small hand, the way the breasts are connected to the body and so on.
    I'm not saing i am super pro at anatomy myself, heck no, i check my Bammes way too often. But there are some foundations you should pick up and in this case it all has to do with the visible outer anatomy and proportions.

what i feeled like is that you wanted to create realistic versions (looking at the detailled knee for instance) failed and decided togo the semi realistic route, there are some parts which feel pretty plausible at first glance but the whole connection between those parts lack foundation

but either way, as said looking forward to the more realistic approach, i am sure it will help your semi realistic pieces as well
  • Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the thing is that even the semi realistic characters need a solid anatomical foundation, even completely stylized pieces do.
    and thats where they are lacking the most. the way the skull is constructed, the way way way too small hand, the way the breasts are connected to the body and so on.
    I'm not saing i am super pro at anatomy myself, heck no, i check my Bammes way too often. But there are some foundations you should pick up and in this case it all has to do with the visible outer anatomy and proportions.

but either way, as said looking forward to the more realistic approach, i am sure it will help your semi realistic pieces as well

I agree and I did realize how small the hands where on my Satsuki piece and made sure I made them bigger in my next piece (Motoko Kusanagi).

When I did Satsuki though, I was looking at one of Haz's pieces which was his pepper turn around and in Kill La Kill it is quite oversexualized which is why the breasts are connected to the body weirdly.

Thanks for the honest feedback though :)
  • Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nowhere near finished, Just wanna get some feedback on this (proportion wise) before I go ahead and add secondary detail.

• Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Round 2.
    Re-did pretty much everything, trying to achieve a realistic body.
    Crits welcome, been at it for too long .

• Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what i feeled like is that you wanted to create realistic versions (looking at the detailled knee for instance) failed and decided togo the semi realistic route, there are some parts which feel pretty plausible at first glance but the whole connection between those parts lack foundation

I was really just trying to find a style that works for me and practice anatomy along the way as you said knowledge of anatomy is needed before you create your own stylized creations.

I was also struggling on the decision to go either stylized or realistic at the time, as I'm pretty new to creating characters and started using Zbrush in June last year.
  • Kazefield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazefield polycounter lvl 3
    Hi !

I think the legs are too short, and her arms might be a liiiittle too long :)
    You should try to find some ref for the body to look at the proportions (like how many heads in a leg, where do the arms stop, etc...). Especially if you're looking for a realistic style :)
    I think you should try focusing on realistic proportions first, it is a really hard, but useful training. Once you're able to do that, everything will seem easier to do :D

Good luck o/
  • Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kazefield Hi!

Thanks for the critique :)

I assure you I'm using plenty of reference :) and definitely trying to get realistic proportions right before I move onto the next stage.

I was using the image below to match up the height and proportions which is about 7 heads tall but the average female is 7.5 heads tall. So I will fix that :)

559fdf5021e2763effb28d5114dc0d93.jpg
  • Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So the past few days I've been mainly studying anatomy proportions.. Knees are hard, I actually went back and watched how Grassetti did his in the anatomy/demon tutorial series.. but I'm open to paint overs or how you guys go about sculpting the knee D

She is also 7.5 heads tall

I've also been playing around with Marvelous Designer and trying to get a suitable outfit as the dress just didn't suit the body.

• chubbycat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chubbycat polycounter lvl 6
    I can defiantly see improvements with your work. I can't wait to see her face done :) Keep up the good work.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
    I think the feet is too large, if you see your reference they end right were the nipple ends too.
  • Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Chubbycat Thank you

@Finalhart
    Thanks for the feedback :)

Although I have stopped using that reference image for proportions as it wasn't 7.5 heads and am now using this one to get the proportions correct and other images found on pinterest.

xlarge-Figure-Proportions-196.jpg

But I do think the shoes seem quite wide, Converse shoes are quite loose so I wouldn't touch the length.

Thanks though :)
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    There is definitely improvements but I feel the anatomy still needs some review. Maybe trying to build some ecorche models may help. It feels like the underlying form is built up of separate chunks as apposed to overlapping muscles (sorry if my explanation is a bit poor). There is also the issue where some ares feel muddy, such as the stomach area whereas others are too busy, such as the knees. Anyway, keep it up, you're getting there.
  • Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is definitely improvements but I feel the anatomy still needs some review. Maybe trying to build some ecorche models may help. It feels like the underlying form is built up of separate chunks as apposed to overlapping muscles (sorry if my explanation is a bit poor). There is also the issue where some ares feel muddy, such as the stomach area whereas others are too busy, such as the knees. Anyway, keep it up, you're getting there.

thanks so much for the feedback, I actually stopped with that character and had been focusing on learning anatomy. Did Scott Eatons anatomy course and purchased the book "Anatomy for the artist" by Stephen peck.. I feel I have a better grasp on anatomy now.

Your explanation is fine :)
    I would like to know how to get that skin layer over the muscles? Not sure if I was doing it right but I'd add a low intensity clay over the top.

Here is my result https://cdn.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/000/543/223/large/chantel-sky-male-done.jpg?1426644970
    I definitely feel I need to improve on some parts (hands, legs to be exact) but feel free to point out any other areas of improvement.
  • karytsukino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    Hey! @Chantel-sky

Nice thread I can see your improve here! I agree with you your last study is really nice but need some work on his hand, his face looks a bit weird too, maybe if you give him more jaw... and his six pack looks you could just let him more assimetric, if you look on realistic references you will see that they are not simetric. However great job here! I'm looking foward to see more improvement! Keep going! =D
  • Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! @Chantel-sky

Nice thread I can see your improve here! I agree with you your last study is really nice but need some work on his hand, his face looks a bit weird too, maybe if you give him more jaw... and his six pack looks you could just let him more assimetric, if you look on realistic references you will see that they are not simetric. However great job here! I'm looking foward to see more improvement! Keep going! =D

Thank you Kartysukino!
    Yeah I haven't sculpted as many male faces as I have female, I'm currently sculpting Henry Cavill who has played Superman so hopefully that helps a lot in my future sculpts due to the strong male features.

Agreed with the six packs, I chose to use Joe Manganiello as my main reference and couldn't find an image where his abs didn't look symmetrical.. finding good ref is hard :(