Home General Discussion

Just looking for some ideas

So i'm more than a little burned out modeling stuff for the TF2 workshop, I just don't really care for it anymore and frankly it is really boring to the point where it aggravates me to even play the game. ALL the textures are so similar it is mind numbing and there is no way to take creative license with it.

I have no idea where to go from here though. I mainly do hard surface and environment stuff, not really that interested in doing characters. I'm toying around with the idea of modeling my 1967 Mustang project car so I can concept color schemes for the final build. I also wan to learn Unreal Engine 4 so I can stay current.

Would a car and and possibly an environment to go with it be a worthwhile time investment? I can see it teaching me a lot, but I've never tackled a huge project before, since I'm mainly "a prop guy".

Got any advice for me PC?

Replies

• aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    How about you make a prop package for unity? Try to make some money off of it and learn the engine if you haven't already. You could also try and create a package that lets you create an entire scene that'll look good in your portfolio at the same time.
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    If you goal is to be an environment artist and you enjoy making environments, then make an environment. Otherwise just stick to props IMO.

I personally wouldn't do a car. I think by now almost every possible car model has been modeled already. And chances are someone did a better job than you. Try to find something that stands out from the crowd, which people will actually remember.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    You shouldnt have to think about anything, just constantly be making whatever you want, in whatever style you want. Sometimes you just need to load up a zbrush or a 3d coat and get creative without thinking about topology.

Of course this is easier said than done as it takes a level of discipline that can be hard to achieve at times.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 19
    You could make some DOTA2 stuff since you already know the hoops you need to jump through for TF2 items.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch polycounter
    Pinterest has got loads of cool stuff to fill your brain with ideas:

http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=3d%20prop%20art&term_meta%5B%5D=3d%7Ctyped&term_meta%5B%5D=prop%7Ctyped&term_meta%5B%5D=art%7Ctyped

Aside from that, trawling through Artstation can give some much needed inspiration as well :)
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    If your burned out maybe take a quick break? like a week or so, then create something just for you, and dont worry about learning or monetizing for a little while.

I was really burned out before the holidays, and I told myself to not open any 3D program during that time, now I cant wait to dive into stuff again!
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 19
    lotet wrote: »
    I was really burned out before the holidays, and I told myself to not open any 3D program during that time, now I cant wait to dive into stuff again!

SHHH! Not so loud! The "I never take a break" brigade will come in here to furiously pat themselves on the back.
  • Kevin Albers
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    Modeling almost anything that is at least a bit out of your comfort zone should be worth your time, including a car and/or an environment. Learning how to use the UE4 engine is also a fine thing to put time into.

Doing stuff that is basically a rehash of what you have already done, and is in fact boring to you, is not a very good use of your time (unless you are getting paid for it, of course, or if there is some other benefit), so doing stuff that is NOT TF2 related seems like a good idea.