Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - UE4 - Tileset Stylized / Painted

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Maecaune polycounter lvl 6
Hi,
currently I am working on a stylized tileset for Unreal 4 somewhere similar to Torchlight with a different color-palette.

It's the first time for me working with painted stylized textures, so I'd like to hear some feedback while I am still working on it.

Thanks in advance and here is what I have so far:

[Trees will be replaced with new ones later. I am thinking about something similar to Diablo 3]

tl01.jpg

tl02.jpg

tl03.jpg

tl04.jpg

1935472_orig.jpg

9345881_orig.jpg

877140_orig.jpg

Replies

• Maecaune
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, finally, my first wood-test. It's a very early version and pretty much only a test, to see how it would look later on. On the right side my first version I didn't like at all. On the left the newer version, which pretty goes the direction I want.

wood_testqbub4.jpg
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Cool stuff! How are you doing the grass/dirt blend? Floating alpha? Or some fancy material work?
  • Maecaune
    Offline / Send Message

I have two materials. The first one blends with a world aligned dirt-texture, the second one blends with a world aligned grass-texture.

The shadow is a simple bumpoffset

Okay with one more texture I can blend between dirt and grass, but not sure whats worse. Two materials or one more texture.

blendingmxsy5.jpg

env_grass_01_trim_txtsvuqz.jpg

blending2jcsxt.jpg
  • Maecaune
    Offline / Send Message
    Currently I am working on the house. Thanks for any kind of feedback, if I am going wrong somewhere :).

mewxaew3.jpg
  • S2Engine
    Offline / Send Message
    S2Engine polycounter lvl 10
    Really cool project, love the style and it's always great to see functional tilesets with collision etc. What's your reference for the house?
  • Sweetangel0467
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweetangel0467 polycounter lvl 10
    That wave texture looks really interesting. How do you animate it in your material?
  • Carabiner
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    This is beautiful! It reminds me of Divinity: Original Sin. Keep it up.
  • Luxap
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxap polycounter lvl 6
    Looking great so far, Don't really get the texture setup and such, but that's my bad =P.
    Could be interesting to try and push the models a bit more, like making the house a little more wonky or the dock-planks a little crooked sometimes, but that is more personal preference, but it fits hand painted style environments in my opinion.

Looking forward to see more!
  • Maecaune
    Offline / Send Message
    @ S2Engine: Thanks :). I had no reference for the house. Some kind of standard pattern out of mind when creating houses. Originally I wanted to create something similar to Torchlight, but well turned out different.

@ Sweetangel0467: I hope this screenshot helps. Sadly it's not working with normal maps.

mew_y6h3ug0.jpg

@ Carabiner: Thanks. Haven't taken a look at Original Sin so far, but looks nice for inspiration :).

@ Luxap: Well it's my first time working on a stylised art-style. when I started I wanted to create something like Torchlight with a different color-palette. Turned out a little bit more different so far ^^. Maybe I will change it later, not sure for now.

________

Okay, thanks for all the feedback so far :). That is my current status for now. I am currently fixing some visual glitches, maybe add some little details, but thats it for now because there is other stuff I need to do right now. For the future I most likely redo some stuff. I am not really happy with the wood as an example.

So I'd really love to hear some feedback for what it is right now. Bash it as good as you can :).

mew_y1oixaj.jpg

mew_y2b9zni.jpg

mew_y3nmakq.jpgmew_y4myxod.jpg

mew_y58yb1j.jpg
  • Sweetangel0467
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweetangel0467 polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks a lot for that screenshot :) I've been asking around for people's shaders for a while now but nobody really went through the trouble you just did. I Appreciate that I can learn from your work :thumbup:
  • AngryMindtricks
    Loving the project so far... Unless this is restricted by your style for this project... I'd definitely change up the colour variation on the plantation leaves, they're all one colour and could benefit with some variation. Great work so far though! (Y)
  • gsokol
    Offline / Send Message
    gsokol polycounter lvl 14
    This is cool looking!

First thing that stood out to me was the rocks. I don't think they blend in quite as well with everything else. The contrast immediately catches my attention. The overall frequency of detail is a bit higher than your other stuff as well. Where your rock is next to the beach/cliff is a good example of the slight mismatch. You have a lot of highlighted edging, a lot of scratches/pits, and a decent amount of color modulation over all of the surface. Compared to your grass, where you use representative shapes without the need to show information for individual blades, it feels like a different style altogether.

That whole area where the grass meets the sandy cliff, meets the beach, meets the water...that looks incredible...really awesome! Perhaps a little bit of mismatch with contrast between the cliff and flat sand...but I'm really digging that overall.

Keep it up!