Home Technical Talk

MT2 eye .Specular map of iris is coloured why?

Hey happy new year to all polycounters.

I downloaded eye ball example from Marmoset Toolbag 2 tutorial & demos forum.
In the eye ball example file specular map of iris is coloured .But this is hows i understood specular workflow.

Albedo map
(i)Metal-Always black
(ii)Non metal- their respective colour

Specular map
(i)Metal- their respective F0 colour
(ii)non metal -always "Grey" between 40 -75.

iris is non metal so it should have been grey value in spec.

I guess i am fundamentally wrong somewhere.

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The iris gets it's colour from the Rayleigh scattering effect (the same reason the sky is blue). I wonder if it's trying to replicate that?
  • jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    Even though PBR seems like it is an exact science, it really isn't. If you have to fudge something to get the look you want, thats acceptable! (depending on your pipeline). I'm not saying go nuts, I'm saying if you're trying to replicate something like the Rayleigh scattering effect or you want to add a little color to the spec, then it makes sense if it looks good.
  • Arya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Farfarer wrote: »
    The iris gets it's colour from the Rayleigh scattering effect (the same reason the sky is blue). I wonder if it's trying to replicate that?

I don't know much about Rayleigh scattering effect I'll study it.
    So wherever we have Rayleigh scattering effect we should use coloured spec to convey the effect is that right.
  • Arya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch wrote: »
    Even though PBR seems like it is an exact science, it really isn't. If you have to fudge something to get the look you want, thats acceptable! (depending on your pipeline). I'm not saying go nuts, I'm saying if you're trying to replicate something like the Rayleigh scattering effect or you want to add a little color to the spec, then it makes sense if it looks good.

Ok so its like if it looks good we can bend the rule little bit.
    Thanks that clears the thing
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The eyeball scene that I put together was mainly to show these two points:
    1. Additive blending with a secondary mesh for the wet layer
    2. Parallax mapping for the inset iris effect

The actual texture values were just what I thought looked cool, and are not calibrated PBR values. If someone has scanned values for eyes I would love to see them =D