Home Technical Talk

Objects not appearing in render.

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Ervin polycounter lvl 7
I have an issue involving V-ray 3.00.03 and Max 2014; basically when I try to render my scene, the render is blank except for the HDRI map I'm using. I've looked at object properties and "renderable" is checked, the layer it's all on isn't frozen, hidden, or un-renderable. I've checked everything I could and did not find any incorrect settings.

Strange thing is that a few days ago I had the same issue, but after spendign a while looking through everything, it suddenly started working on it's own without me changing any settings. But I've since saved and reopened the file and, the problem is back and I simply can't get it to work again. Couldn't find anything on google either.

Anybody have any clue what might be going on?

Replies

• Ervin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ervin polycounter lvl 7
    anyone know anything about this?
  • cadgonegames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you say black, do you mean you can see them, but they are just completely blacked out? If so it could be your light, if you have the HDRI map connected to a vray dome light, try increasing the multiplier to something like 100-200 to see if it changes.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It could also be your material(s), vray with certain types of materials like standard materials or mental ray materials will render pure black.

You should make sure you're using vray materials. I think there are some simple scripts that check your scene and convert materials, if they exist they are probably up on www.scriptspot.com.
  • Ervin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ervin polycounter lvl 7
    When you say black, do you mean you can see them, but they are just completely blacked out? If so it could be your light, if you have the HDRI map connected to a vray dome light, try increasing the multiplier to something like 100-200 to see if it changes.

I should have been clearer here, they're blank as in invisible. Only the HDRI Background shows up, which is connected to a dome light.I am using Vraymtl, but I can't find any setting that might make them not show up. My best guess is that this is some king of an error with MAX or Vray because it has worked a few times in the past for no apparent reason, but I have not been able to make any of the objects show up since. When I get home I'll post a screenshot.

e: I should also mention that other files render just fine. I have even made some obects and applied textures to them in other files and then merged them into this one and they would still not appear. I have also tried creating a new max file and merging everything from that one into this one and get the same results. This file also has a very high poly count which I suspect is in some way a cause of the problem.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might want to check the vray properties for the objects. Right click the viewport > Vray Properties.

If you merge in just a few of the objects into a new scene, do they render black?
  • Ervin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ervin polycounter lvl 7
    Here's screenshots; there is one group of objects that does show up for some reason, it has the same material applied as some of the others and the properties don't differ in any way as far as I can tell.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you checked the normals of the objects? Apply an edit normals modifier and make sure they point out, not in. I'm not sure that's whats going on because you would typically get something to render, but it's something else to check.

If you create a new object like a box does it render?

You said you were using a dome light? What happens when you get rid of all of your lights? What about adding just a single VRayLight?

When you're looking at the image in the VRay Frame Buffer if you toggle the alpha display does anything else show up? I'm just wondering if the missing stuff is contributing at all.

Could it be a conflict between VRay and the student version of max? As in some kind of insidious plot to keep people from producing something workable with it? You would think a watermark would be enough, also how do you learn to use VRay then, ha...

Any chance you can upload a piece of the scene so people could check it out?
  • Jessicabnc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good day 

I'm encountering the same problem, ive done what you suggested in the last message, so i drew a box to see if it will render, but not, only HDRI and the Throw i did with plane+v-ray fur.
    At 1st it was telling me that it was the memory, so i deleted some stuff, so the message stopped appearing, now its rendering like this, and it only happens to interior shots, ive done to exterior renders and they are fine.

The 1st image is how it is rendering at the moment.
    The 2nd image is an exterior rendering without a problem
    The 3rd image is the scen i am trying to render