Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UE4 - Old Post Office

KaffeineWolf
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
KaffeineWolf polycounter lvl 6
Hello, I'm currently working on a scene from a concept by Artyom Vlaskin, but taking my own interpretation of it by trying to mix the old style found in the concept with a cleaner more modern look, making it look like it was built in the era depicted on the concept but well kept and still used today. Looking forward to some C&C, also maybe some advice on not getting such wonky glass materials :poly142:

Original Concept:
bR7fm_zps86ff8a84.jpg

Work in Progress:
brfmwip1_zps77ef7499.png
brfmwip3_zps980b8c0f.png
brfmwip2_zpsb804ff59.png

Replies

• KaffeineWolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Shameless bump. The materials are very work in progress, also a lot of meshes are missing or their place is being held by BSP Brushes, but I would very much appreciate some critique on the current state of the scene, my goal is to make this a portfolio piece in the end.
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    It looks good so far but the proportions are off. The tiles look very different vs. the concept. The wood trim is missing geo. Chairs look present day, when the concept looks 80s,90s (CRT monitor in BG).

I'd recommend fixing the proportions, especially with the front desk area, before you continue.
  • Mellon3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Mellon3D polycounter lvl 13
    Like leather material on chairs, keep working)
  • KaffeineWolf
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni wrote: »
    It looks good so far but the proportions are off. The tiles look very different vs. the concept. The wood trim is missing geo. Chairs look present day, when the concept looks 80s,90s (CRT monitor in BG).

I'd recommend fixing the proportions, especially with the front desk area, before you continue.

I will add the missing trim in the tile texture, also can you be more specific about the front desk area? What exactly is wrong about it? I can't really put my eyes on it.
    Mellon3D wrote: »
    Like leather material on chairs, keep working)

Thank you very much! I will :)
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Yep one sec. Lemme grab my tablet.
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Alright sme crit is attached.

I think overall, you should slow down. You're missing a lot of the smaller and important parts of the concept already. These beginning parts are essential for a great piece (in my opinion).

Proportion is always a huge killer. Eveverything can look amazing, but if proportions are off, it will take the viewer out of the scene you created!

Good luck!

I guess I should add that the reason I'm stressing the above so much is that you obviously have the skills (with what I've seen so far) to re-create this concept, but if you hurry, you won't end up with a phenomenal piece. I see the potential here, and I'm excited to see this develop :D
  • JamieRIOT
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    Damn, beefaroni beat me to it. Was just doodling on these two images.

baeWKN7.jpg

YXd1Tx3.jpg

These are my thoughts on proportions mainly.
  • KaffeineWolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you both for the constructive criticism and the kind words, I see what you both mean and I will immediately start fixing the proportions and add the important bits that are still missing. Also now that you pointed it out, I can see the wooden trim definitely needs more love. Thanks guys! :D
  • KaffeineWolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update

COMPLETED:
    • Proportions
    • Tweaked some textures
    • Remade the clock mesh

TODO:
    • Remake the lambris mesh
    • Add the missing red trim in the tile texture
    • Make the wall trim mesh

After I complete this list I will proceed with everything else in the concept, enough talking, here's the screenshot

brfmupdate_zps2d14d096.png
  • KaffeineWolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, haven't had much time to work on this piece, anyway this is where I'm at currently
    (the floor texture has barely some proportions blocked in)

HighresScreenshot00014_zpsf5706356.png

HighresScreenshot00015_zpsab672633.png
  • Matt_Billeci
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt_Billeci polycounter lvl 7
    The improvements are looking nice from your previous updates, but now i feel as if your tiles are conflicting in styles. I think this is due to the scaling of the larger brown tiles.

Keep pushing! =D
  • KaffeineWolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the whole floor texture isn't even close to being finished, I was previously planning to not post any updates before finishing it but I was too eager to have some feedback on the rest of the progress :D
  • KaffeineWolf
    Offline / Send Message
    In the meanwhile, does anyone have any advice on making the leaf material read better on this fern?

HighresScreenshot00018_zpsafc8fc16.png
  • wakkamis
    Offline / Send Message
    wakkamis polycounter lvl 16
    That guy(Artyom) has some great concepts. I've seen A few people use this to start from. I also did a take on it last year. I ended up taking a more modular approach and sticking closer to the concept.

I am enjoying your more modern take on the concept though. Keep it up.
  • JWalk
    In the meanwhile, does anyone have any advice on making the leaf material read better on this fern?

More color variation (dead/brown bits), add a soft gradient going from dark to light (center to tip). SSS might be overkill for an indoor plant in a dark room, but might help.
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    You may or may not want to turn down your normals just a tad too, currently it's reading a bit plastic-moldy in how the light seems to be making the leaves look like they have thick edges which is probably from the normals, or it might have to do with tweaking the roughness or maybe playing around with some Fresnel edge lighting.
  • KaffeineWolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you everyone! :D
    JWalk wrote: »
    More color variation (dead/brown bits), add a soft gradient going from dark to light (center to tip). SSS might be overkill for an indoor plant in a dark room, but might help.

SSS is already running although it uses the same color as the albedo (I don't know if I'm doing this right), I will definitely try and paint some dead bits, maybe on the edges, the soft gradient sounds like a great idea, hadn't thought of it!
    Deathstick wrote: »
    You may or may not want to turn down your normals just a tad too, currently it's reading a bit plastic-moldy in how the light seems to be making the leaves look like they have thick edges which is probably from the normals, or it might have to do with tweaking the roughness or maybe playing around with some Fresnel edge lighting.

You are right about the normals causing thickness on the edges, I'll give it another pass later today.