Home Adobe Substance

Baking Problems

convolution223
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
convolution223 polycounter lvl 6
This might be a general baking problem but I'm specifically using Substance Designer to bake and I'm getting these empty areas on my normal map. Any idea why? I'm using a cage and the high poly was originally sculpted in Zbrush.

Here's the original high poly:
ScreenShot2014-12-26at23230PM.png

And the low poly with the normal map and diffuse:
ScreenShot2014-12-26at23710PM.png

Replies

• respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Maybe the cage is intersecting the highpoly, have you tried pushing it a bit more see if they disappear ?
  • convolution223
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I tried that two more times, pushing the verts of the cage out further each time, and still have these black spots in the same places. I'm going to try re-exporting the high-poly model because maybe something went wrong in the exporting process?
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Hmm if it's not the cage maybe check to see if there are any faces with inverted normals in those spots, maybe you don't see them in the sculpt image due to backface culling.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    It may be issues with your cage. Is the "Apply Diffusion" option checked? This should solve most cage problems.
  • convolution223
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried that too. At my wit's end with this. Considering going into photoshop and doing what i can to make it not as blaring of an issue.

edit: posted at the same time as Jerc. Yes, that option is checked.
  • convolution223
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm thinking it's a problem with the high-poly model out of Zbrush because i did notice weird topology issues with a decimated version i tweaked to get the low-poly. i figured those issues were from the decimation master but then it might've been a result of something wonky with the original high-poly, i suppose....

currently trying to use ZRemesher set to double to see if that'll retain details while remeshing. i've never used this option before so we'll see.

Edit: yeah that just blurs a lot of detail...
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    As everyone has said, that is usually a cage issue. Could you post a pic or link the files to your cage, lo, and hi poly? Just want to see if there are any problems. Also as a general rule (though it looks like it isn't a problem for you) make sure non of your UVs are overlapping in the main UV space.
  • convolution223
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, none of the UV's are overlapping because once I put it in the game engine that'll cause problems with shadows, right?

Here's the low, high, and cage, along with the textures. I omitted the 2 previous cages (each time I did it I tried pushing the cage out further but also tried to make sure the verts of the cage weren't overlapping since the model curls at the top-right). I also tried using .fbx for the low-poly and i didn't bother to include that because it didn't make a difference (not that it would but maybe there was some file-voodoo).

Anyways, here they are: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wtt7h3rxaa6zcw7/AADhBLgve7eucluQ5ypEidnJa?dl=0
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    Opening the models in 3ds max shows the cage does not cover the high poly model. The uncovered areas will cause missed rays during the baking process.

33p9d7b.jpg
  • convolution223
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you. I was sure I covered it but loading the high-poly in Maya was wreaking havoc on my laptop. It's a relief to resolve this. Thanks again.
  • convolution223
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I spent all morning moving verts on the cage and now it's clearly past the high-poly:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ioz3uf7f53ou6x3/Screenshot%202014-12-30%2011.11.11.png?dl=0

But still the same problem. I noticed the texture's appearing on the inside of the model:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/x6raif94l57fa0s/Screenshot%202014-12-30%2011.07.20.png?dl=0

But the inside is also past the high-poly and it's not like it's going out the front or anything.
    I'm not sure what to do.
  • Rooster128
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rooster128 polycounter lvl 8
    This might means the rays from where they are casted are missing the geo completely.

What does it look like when you turn face normal display on in Maya?
  • convolution223
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rooster128 wrote: »
    This might means the rays from where they are casted are missing the geo completely.

What does it look like when you turn face normal display on in Maya?

I turned on face normal display but it's kinda hard to make sense of it. I turned off visibility for everything but the cage, but it's still a lot of green lines. I hope these photos help in some way.

ScreenShot2015-01-09at73729PM.png

ScreenShot2015-01-09at73800PM.png

One thing I noticed near one of the areas of blackness is a green line seemingly perpendicular to the others: ScreenShot2015-01-09at75149PM.png

I'm referring to the horizontal-looking green line. I can't tell where it's coming from though. If I try to rotate the object around it looks like it's laying flat on the surface.

The dropbox link for the models themselves still work if you'd like to rotate the model yourself to get a better idea of what's going on.