Home General Discussion

Different styles for different mediums?

hero character
Offline / Send Message
lotet hero character
hey guys!
Ive been thinking lately about my taste and style as an artist, and realized I do compleatly different things depending on what medium I use.

3D: cartoony fantasy stuff

Digital paitning: paintery oil looking sci-fi style

Pencil/analog: realistic contemporary stuff

Its really confusing and I kind of want to unify my work, be true to myself and shit.
so, anyone else having this problem? should I even think of it as a problem?

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    It's only a problem relative to certain goals, I'd imagine. Assuming art isn't as objective as morality.

I do the same. Most of my existing 3D work is fantastical, but I have this weird focus on just people's faces in my sketchbook.

You know, iotet, with your realistic/contemporary, did you mostly deal in only pencil, charcoals, etc. for those pieces? I'm assuming that includes figure drawing, etc. within that sphere of focus.

I think this part of your identity is tabula rasa. You just decide what you want to put into that bucket. There's only a couple things that, I will assert, is not tabula rasa.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Well at least it's not just me :p

I think for me, I really want to have a more distinctive and defined style. And I feel that if I can't even Keep my style consistent from 2D to 3D I have a lot of work ahead of me.