Home Quixel Megascans

AWAITING CONFIRMATION: Loading Curvature from Xnormal messes up DDO

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Borx25 polycounter lvl 7
I've a problem with ddo, i'm using the last version and photoshop cc 2014.

I loaded my maps, baked in xnormal and the result was quite weird, tried with another material, some military metal with lots of stuff, edge damage, rust, camo, etc and same result. its like it wasnt using the maps i provided (normal, ao and curvature, all baked from highpoly) to create the details of the smart material, and instead made some random thing, really weird.

opened the reimporter and left only the normal map, result made sense, so i then loaded the other maps one by one and found the problem to be the curvature map, not much of a problem since with ao and normal the details look right but thought i could report it anyways.

here an image to illustrate the issue:
x47vquc9xc2mjkdzg.jpg?size_id=d

and here the curvature by itself, 2048x2048:
449yuj6wkjc4bg6zg.jpg

also im not sure what setting should i use in texel size, so i always leave it default, 1024, could someone explain it, please?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Martin7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'd say try to use your baked normals map but not the curvature. You could add an AO map though.

If you input both normals and curvature map, ddo will build his curvature mask from the curvature map you input and wont use the normals. I did search the topic quite a bit and so far my find is that ddo does a much better job when creating curvature mask (dynamask) from baked normals than from xnormal curvature map.

If you want to see for yourself, create a project by filling in your input map, add an empty layer, open dynamask and enable the curvature. Put all slider (fine, medium, large etc) to 100%. Now go to your photoshop window which should have the mask window opened, scroll down the layers until you see the curvature layers, shift (or alt, cant remember) click to view only one mask and check them one by one (sharp, fine, medium ect. ) There you can see what the curvature mask dynamask use, looks like.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I wonder what kind of curvature it wants. Have you tried the two tone curvature (red, green) from xNormal?
  • cromadbomber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cromadbomber polycounter lvl 10
    I remember a similar thread like this about curvature maps. If I recall correctly I think Teddy said that the best way to make a curvature map for DDO is to load an ambient occlusion map in Photoshop and use highpass filter with a low radius (something between 3-4). Not quite sure that this will work but you can try it.
  • Borx25
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Borx25 polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks, i'll try doing it that way.