Home Quixel Megascans

SOLVED: Edge padding question

Deathrey
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Deathrey polycounter lvl 4
Greetings,
I have a question about dDo.

Should i feed edge-padded maps to dDo or it should be done after exporting final textures?

Replies

• Avis Para.doc's
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avis Para.doc's polycounter lvl 9
    it's a good Idea to have a little padding in all textures no mater what they for game or art. For games its more important because of mipmaps and some little tweaks on lods. But in that case perfect when there is 2-3 (minimum) padding in all textures before starting to work.
  • Deathrey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathrey polycounter lvl 4
    it's a good Idea to have a little padding in all textures no mater what they for game or art. For games its more important because of mipmaps and some little tweaks on lods. But in that case perfect when there is 2-3 (minimum) padding in all textures before starting to work.

I do not think that you've understood my question. I'm not debating on how good or bad edge padding is :poly136:

I saw a feature that is supposed to reduce ammount of visible seams by fading out dynamask near UV borders or something like that in one of the latest versions. Apparently it uses borders of islands in color ID map. That is why i'm curious if there should be any padding in input maps for new dDo project.
  • Borx25
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Borx25 polycounter lvl 7
    what i do is bake with edge padding all maps except the material id map, seems to work fine.
  • Avis Para.doc's
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avis Para.doc's polycounter lvl 9
    Yes I believe I understand your question :) and like i already say in there is no backdrops to not to use a padding of 2-4 pixels
    (Its not so big to affect seam terminator and not so little to produce edge artifacts).
    You can use it like buffer for adjustments of material mask. And if not, you can end with some unpredictable seams and you need to add manual padding in all exported maps. Of course if you dont work in extremely low texel size like 128 px*m then ID dont need to have edge padding.