Home Technical Talk

Vertices not welding

Youngy798
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Youngy798 polycounter lvl 4
I am working with a flat plane and I am trying to weld some vertices. Some of the points have welded fine but others wont.

Take this piece for example, the top and bottoms have welded but the ones in the middle wont.

cLiJBo0.png

Same problem with another area:

sUNKIMm.png

and another:

FQNAV2c.png

thanks in advance for any help :)

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Need to tell us which software you're using.

Looks like 3ds Max? Editable Poly has built-in rules about not allowing certain topologies. You can't weld a backface to a front face for example. Editable Mesh allows this, but it has many limitations. You could simply snap them together, if you need the backfaces to be there.
  • Sims_doc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sims_doc polycounter lvl 7
    Without a doubt its 3D Max as the Graphic Engine is very different from Maya.

Now as for you mention, Eric is correct it is a reverse face as your only getting some vertices welding to see if an object has a reverse face you can click render with the default settings and it will render out an image of your model and if those respected faces are facing forward they will be shown in the render if they aren't they won't be.

Or.

What i've found to be a quicker way of doing this is simple freeze the object and it will lock the object and show what a render would show. Now if your having problems unfreezing it just simple go back which should unfreeze it or just unfreeze all.

Also, Editable poly is better than mesh i've found as it just gets the job done. However it doesn't do certain things like allow you to optimize your mesh and still keep an intact UV although i think that's a bug?
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    looks like you're in max. i'm able to collapse that first example in max 2014 at least,

JsijrVn.jpg

usually your problem is caused by either an unseen backface or an impossibly thin polygon extruded from the vert in question. you can tell by clicking (not drag-selecting) on the problem verts one at a time and moving them to see if they're stacked up or not.

however there has also been a bug in Max for several versions now that sometimes stops you from collapsing verts that should collapse fine, especially on cylinder caps. you can usually get around it by sealing any borders the verts are on.

hope something here helps
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rendering is not a good way to check for backfaces. Materials override this, for example. And it's slow.

1. Select the model, right click, choose Object Properties, and enable Backface Culling. Then just rotate your model and examine it.

2. Enable "Backface Cull on Object Creation" in the Preferences. This will make sure all new objects have this set by default. (Max 2012 help)

Which is how it should be for game modeling, as you almost never want to use automatic backfaces (2-sided material), instead you want to explicitly create those yourself to limit the number of extra vertices in your models.

Freezing does not change backface culling.

UVs are preserved when using Pro Optimizer, but you have to enable the Textures checkbox. The older Optimize modifier shouldn't be used any more, it's been replaced by MultiRes, and now ProOptimizer. Optimize has just been kept for backwards-compatibility.