Home General Discussion

Substance Desinger. Toughts ?

TAN
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
TAN polycounter lvl 12
Hey mates.

I became interested in Substance Designer after a suggestion on hangout. And I see there is a %40 sale in Steam today.

Of course I read up the Steam reviews. I wanted to ask about experiences here once more.

I usually make characters not environment props, and I just use ZBrush+ xNormal most of the time, but I am ineterested if Substance Designer can actually speed up some of the processes ( bake, taking screenshots, art tests etc)

So what does Polycount think ?

Cheers :)

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Just remember that Substance Designer isn't a 1 stop shop to your final asset. You'll need to understand it's strengths and weaknesses.

The biggest strength is being able to build up a library of awesome base textures which have editable parameters - what this means is that if you wanted to have a base texture of rusted iron, you could control for example:
    thickness of rust
    total coverage of rust
    rust spots
    rust direction (ie: is it caused by water leaking from the top of the object, and is therefor streaky?).

once you've built up a solid library of base materials, it really does speed up your creation process. But you'll still want to go in and finalize everything by hand in the end.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    almighty_gir is pretty spot on with his assessment. Having a good library helps a lot. Also, Substance is not for people who hate change. Making your own substances requires a quite different mindset than working in Photoshop, and many artists consider it very technical. However working with pre-made Substance materials is much easier.
    At my studio most people prefer Quixel though. It's just easier to get into since it's Photoshop based. But if you really dig into it, you can probably do more with Substance.
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool

The biggest strength is being able to build up a library of awesome base textures which have editable parameters - what this means is that if you wanted to have a base texture of rusted iron, you could control for example:

I'll add one thing. Let's say you have a metal material that looks really nice but you want a less shiny version. Assuming you setup your graph right (with add/sub blend modes instead of copy), you can just duplicate that graph, adjust the roughness/base-color sliders in about 1-2 min, and have that new material you were looking for without destroying anything.

It's really great. I have copied some of my base materials and used them for more stylized works, just by adding, changing, or removing some nodes.

All super interactive too, which is always fun :D
  • Eric Chadwick
    Has anyone compared Filter Forge vs. Substance Designer?

I've played around quite a bit in FF but not much yet in SD. AFAIK they're the same kind of workflow, node-based filtering, diffuse/normal/ao/etc., option for tiled output, etc.

SD is geared more towards 3D content, but it does seem to suffer from the same procedural looking output as FF, which it seems you really have to spend a good deal of effort combating, if you want a naturalistic-looking non-machine-like output.

Curious about impressions from those who have played with both.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    I haven't noticed it leaving any "procedural looking" effect on finished textures. It all looks fine.
    The only issue I've had is getting many effects to properly respect UV borders, but it's far from impossible to circumvent. It usually just involves making some asset-specific tweaks to the base texture.
    This texture was made purely in SD, no hand-texturing of any kind. It's organic, and has a lot of UV seams right in view of that image.
    Stone_Preview1_zpsd9760b3c.png
  • AshuraDX
    Offline / Send Message
    AshuraDX triangle
    Gir and Tidal really nailed it

I fell in love with Substance Designer after getting used to the node-based workflow
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    I haven't noticed it leaving any "procedural looking" effect on finished textures. It all looks fine.
    The only issue I've had is getting many effects to properly respect UV borders, but it's far from impossible to circumvent. It usually just involves making some asset-specific tweaks to the base texture.
    This texture was made purely in SD, no hand-texturing of any kind. It's organic, and has a lot of UV seams right in view of that image.
    Stone_Preview1_zpsd9760b3c.png
    wow nice !
    Would you mnid highlighting those seams for us to see :O ?
  • Fwap
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Too be honest, since getting Designer + Painter earlier on this year I don't think i have touched Photoshop at all, except on rare occasions where something was missing in the software (twist filter) or for render comping.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    I took that image a while ago, but if I recall correctly the UV seam runs all the way through the crevice where the two large shapes meet.
  • TAN
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks mates. I have read everything and I decided to buy it and give it a try.

I especially liked the mindset/built up part ;)
  • AshuraDX
    Offline / Send Message
    AshuraDX triangle
    Fwap wrote: »
    Too be honest, since getting Designer + Painter earlier on this year I don't think i have touched Photoshop at all, except on rare occasions where something was missing in the software (twist filter) or for render comping.

I still use photoshop to create stencils and such for Designer and Painter - as I so far have not fonud a way to create text in Substance Designer

or drawing straight lines in Substance painter (without using a ruler on my graphics tablet)
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    AshuraDX wrote: »
    I still use photoshop to create stencils and such for Designer and Painter - as I so far have not fonud a way to create text in Substance Designer

or drawing straight lines in Substance painter (without using a ruler on my graphics tablet)

Both features are coming soon :)
  • AshuraDX
    Offline / Send Message
    AshuraDX triangle
    Jerc wrote: »
    Both features are coming soon :)
    I love you guys for working so close with your customers, Thanks a lot for all of this - you guys are awesome