Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Another Generic Guy

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Spiffy polycounter lvl 12
Just updating my portfolio again, After finishing a stylized character I thought I'd go for realism again, I started on him about a week ago and I've started work on the rest of the body.:
Highpoly.png
screenshot000.png
screenshot001.png
Beard still needs a little work.
screenshot002.png
Cloth%2Bprog.png
Only really just started on the body. though the head isn't finished, I'm still looking for crits on all areas.

Replies

• Grubber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grubber polycounter lvl 14
    Looking good. I do not like hairs tho. Maybe some variation would help
  • Spiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been pretty busy with Christmas and New years So not much progress, just more on the jacket

I need help though, my Zipper curve brush orientation is rotated to wrong way, I want the teeth to point inwards rather than along the surface, does any one know how to do this?.

Curve%2Borinetaiotn.png

not%2Bmuch.png
  • polymator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polymator polycounter lvl 6
    Try this:
    Make a plane. Turn off the "curve mode" in the stroke palette. Draw out an instance of the brush on the plane and rotate the middle polygroup 90 degrees. Make this a new insert curve brush.

That may give you a desirable result. Sometimes I just go to a traditional modeling package and fix it there... doesn't take too long.
  • Spiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to switch things up, I need to practice on hard surface so rather than waiting to complete this model I'd combine them, Still gotta change something to make it work though, looks a little out of place for now.

switch%2Bup.png

Thanks for the tip, I decided to just take a loop of faces further out from the edge taht were pointing in the right direction and move the zipper into the right place when I was happy. It wasn't perfect but some use of a grab tool fixed it up.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Are ye using actual prosthetic references for the legs? They're feeling pretty toon-y compared to the upper half of the model.
    EDIT: oops forgot to say: Absolutely love the face and where this is going in general. And that is a super nice hat. :poly124:
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I initially just popped in here to say that calling the thread "another generic guy" already puts you off on the wrong foot, but its solidified by your work so far.

I'm not talking specifically about the quality of your work...so far so good. But overall, the design of the person doesn't make any sense. Adding the prosthetic legs on just for the sake of adding them on at the even more to the problem. I think you are setting yourself up to have a hard time detailing the character without some general idea in mind for what you want to do. It really does show that in the WIP.

I would suggest you just think more about the background of the character..that way you are adding purposeful details that support him, instead of it feeling like "another generic guy."

Even in one of your previous threads, "Post Apocalyptic Survivor," your character already felt more cohesive because you had that theme in mind.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
  • Spiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's the thing, this was originally gonna be another generic survivor, I made the thread when I was about to go to bed and quickly came up with a shitty title. decided to roll with it instead of annoying the mods with a rename/duped thread.

There's a lot I'm gonna change to (hopefully) make it work, the legs need bulking in some way, probably gonna replace the feet with boots to ground him a little more, change the shorts and jacket to fit a robotic theme etc..

At this point it's just experimenting.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll see if I can make it fit together a little better before I completely abandon the legs.